problem ADC212 with usb to parallel convertor and USB hub

Post any questions about our parallel port products
NickEvans

problem ADC212 with usb to parallel convertor and USB hub

Post by NickEvans »

Hi

I have been using an ADC212 with usb to parallel convertor for some time with no problem when I connect to the USB to parallel convertor direct to the PC via usb cable. I have latest picoscope code and drivers and the software is running on windows XP.

I have recently been trying to run the ADC212/usb to parallel port convertor through a small "Trust" USB hub. This hub provides 4 usb ports. It can be powered from an external 5V supply or powered from PC USB.

When the hub is used, the communication with the ADC212 is erratic. It seems to work for a while but after using for a while, the windows application just hangs up whilst acquiring data from the ADC212. This happens whether the hub has external power or not.

The hub is cheap and is obviously the problem. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable 4 port hub that is known to work or if anyone from Pico can give guidance on what are the important specifications to look for when buying a hub for use with the USB to parallel port convertor.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear that you have been seeign problems.

I do not have any recommendations as to makes of hubs, however I would recommend a powered hub. I am unsure as to why you have been seeing the problems you have, and as you say, it may be the hub.

Does it happen with any other USB units? Or is it just ours?
Once it has failed what does the device manager report?

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

This particular hub seems to work ok with other USB devices. It is just the picoscope and USB/Parallel port convertor that exhibits problems. However, I don't think most other USB devices are transferring data as intensively as the picoscope.

I will try other USB hubs and let you know if the problem is resolved.

Is there any specific (unusual) mode that the pico usb/parallel convertor works in?

Nick

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Nick

Thank you for your post.

I do not believe the Pico USB Parallel port works in any kind of unusual mode, however I do not myself know the detailed workings of the device and the protocol it uses.

Hope this helps

Best Regards