PicoScope v6.9.18.1 - not capturing

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
tsimic

PicoScope v6.9.18.1 - not capturing

Post by tsimic »

Hi everyone,

the new version of Pico Scope (6.9.18.1) does not capture any samples for following settings:
2 channels, 600 kS, 12 bits,
but it does work normally with:
2 channels, 500 kS, 12 bits

When the resolution is reduced to 8 bits, it stops capturing when the sampling is increased from 1 MS to 2 MS.

Older release of Pico Scope 6 (6.7.27) does not have similar issues.

Anyone noticed something similar?

Using scope 5443A.
Last edited by tsimic on Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PiCo Scope v6.9.18.1 - not capturing

Post by Martyn »

Can you post a psdata, this will give all the other settings you are using, enabling us to replicate your set up more closely.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

tsimic

Re: PiCo Scope v6.9.18.1 - not capturing

Post by tsimic »

Here is a sample.
Attachments
20141016-0002.psdata
Sample psdata file.
(378.64 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PicoScope v6.9.18.1 - not capturing

Post by Martyn »

We are unable to replicate this. If you see it happen again can you send in the trace.xml file, it will show all the steps you have taken from starting the application running. The file can be found in the directory below the following location

Code: Select all

Win XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[Your user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Pico Technology\

Win Vista/7/8: C:\Users\[Your user name]\AppData\Local\Pico Technology\
Martyn

tsimic

Post by tsimic »

I guess there was a misunderstanding.
The previously attached psdata file is a sample when the scope does capture I am able to save the file. Once when it stops capturing I cannot make a psdata file, only a pssettings file is offered in Save As...
This happens all the time, whenever I change the settings like described in the initial post.
xml files, as found at the location you mentioned, are attached.
Attachments
trace (2).xml
(23.12 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
trace.xml
(36.02 KiB) Downloaded 465 times

tsimic

Post by tsimic »

More inputs on this matter:
- Scope 6403 seems not to have the same problem with the same SW, so maybe it is HW related? But as mentioned before, an older version of PicoScope SW works fine with the 5443A scope.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This has been passed to the development team, the trace file is giving a warning about Too Many Samples.

I will update when I have a response
Martyn

tsimic

Post by tsimic »

Thanks Martyn, looking forward to a solution.

Briand

Post by Briand »

Hello folks,

I seem to be seeing something similar with the new picoscope software (V 6.9.18.1) and a picoscope 4262. I did not have this problem with a previous version of the software, but it updated recently with this issue. I've tried this on 2 different PCs.

I'm inputting a continuous 60Hz sine wave directly from a waveform generator into channel A and triggering from channel B. The scope is not capturing this, displaying a flat line zero volts on both channel A and B while in 'running' mode. The scope does not trigger on channel B, probably because it is reading this as zero even though it is not. It is only when I press 'stop' that the picoscope displays the 60Hz sine on channel A and the signal it did not trigger to on channel B.

The settings I'm using are: +-5V; 16 bits; no filtering; 500ms/div; 1MS;
- If I change from 500ms/div to 1s/div the sine is displayed but with intermittent flat lines.
- If I change the number of samples to 2MS it seems to work OK; but with less than 1MS it either doesn't work at all or works intermittently.

The same problem exists with the beta version of software that's available. It is not an issue with version 6.6.57 (which is the only other version I can find.

Brian

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Can you post up a trace file, location of this file is in an earlier post. We can then check if it is the same issue.
Martyn

Briand

Post by Briand »

Hello Martyn,

I've attached the trace file that was generated after I starting up the software and reproducing the issue. Hope this helps. I've just tried it on a picoscope 6403B, this picoscope is OK.

While I'm waiting for that fix, Is there any chance you can send me a link to a previous working version, from more than 2 months ago? I already have v6.6.57, but this old and has other minor issues that I can do without.

Thanks again,
Brian
Attachments
trace.xml
(10.01 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This is not the same issue, so please contact me at support@picotech.com and we can provide a link to download a specific version of PicoScope.
Martyn