picoscope, number of samples

Forum for discussing PicoScope (version 5)
cristina
User
User

picoscope, number of samples

Post by cristina »

I have a problem using picoscope. I want to specify the number of samples, the measurements i want to take and i go to the settings menu and then to options scope dialogue, where i specify the number of samples, but it seems that i can only take 2500, is there a possibility of taking more samples?
i´m using a ADC-212/50
thanks
Last edited by cristina on Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

Samples

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Christina,

Not exactly sure what you mean. You can select 500 up to the maximum sample buffer size of the unit you are using. This is the maximum number of samples per screen. This is not how many you will actually get. How many you get depends on several factors. I have a web based sample rate calculator that helps you determine how the sample rate performance behaves based on the specs and settings. You can use it here:

http://www.autonerdz.com/java/SampleRateCalculator.html

Under Settings, Measurements, you can also select number of samples to see how many you are getting on a channel.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

number of samples

Post by Autonerdz »

I have a problem using picoscope. I want to specify the number of samples, the measurements i want to take and i go to the settings menu and then to options scope dialogue, where i specify the number of samples, but it seems that i can only take 2500, is there a possibility of taking more samples?
i´m using a ADC-212/50
thanks

Hi Christina,

With your 212/50, you can select up to 128,000 samples. Then you say OK to the dialog boxes and it should take.

However, it won't stay that way. If you restart PicoScope it will revert to the default settings. To make it open up again WITH your changes go to File- Save Settings, after making your changes. This will make PicoScope start up with your custom setup.

Also, if you open up any saved captures, including ones from a menu, PicoScope will take on the settings of that saved capture. This will change the number of samples too.

Try making the number of samples changes then going right back in to the advanced options and see if your number is there right away, before doing anything else and let us know what happens.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

cristina
User
User

number of samples

Post by cristina »

but,how can i take up to 1280,000 samples? I think that maybe it´s a problem of the drivers i am using. Before i used driver R 5.07.4 and now adc 212 weba200_r4_00. At the moment i can take 14290 samples, but i´d like to take more.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Cristina

Picoscope needs to decide itself how many samples to take. If you set it to the maximum size of the buffer, this is the maximum you can take. In your case this is 128,000. If Picoscope is taking less samples this is because the software needs to take less - this is entirely down to how the software needs to run.

You may find changing the timebase helps.

I again ask that you please keep your posts to one thread rather than starting new threads. (Si desea, puede escribirme en Español :wink: )

Hope this helps

Best Regards

cristina
User
User

pico scope,number of samples

Post by cristina »

Hola, gracias por aclararme todas mis dudas y siento lo de cambiar de topic todo el tiempo.
Mi problema está en que quiero tomar un número determinado de muestras y el ordenador sólo me deja hasta un número sin llegar hasta lo que se supone que es el tope. He pensado que quizás el problema esté en los drivers que estoy utilizando. Quizá si los cambio podría llegar hasta las 128000 medidas.
Muchas gracias

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hola Cristina

No creo que el problema esté con los drivers. Normalmente es el software de Picoscope que determina el número de muestras.

Si necesita un número determinado de muestras le aviso que use el software Picolog. Con este software puede determinar el número exacto de muestras y también el tiempo de grabar. Sospecho que para su aplicación necesitará usar "Fast Block Mode" (lo siento, no sé decirlo en Español).

Si el tiempo y número de muestras no son compatibles, el software de Picolog le dirá, y le dará un alternativo.

Dígame si tiene algúnas problemas o preguntas más.

Saludos Cordiales
Sarah - Dpto. de asistencia tecnológica.

cristina
User
User

pico scope,number of samples

Post by cristina »

Muchas gracias, me estais ayudando mucho.
Parece que ya he conseguido tomar hasta 128000 muestras, sin embargo me pasa algo muy curioso. Si yo especifco un número determinado, pico no toma ese número, toma otro cercano como si tuviera un número predeterminado de muestras que no puede alterar. No se si me he explicado bien, si yo le digo 15000 muestras él toma 14290 y si le digo 60000, él se queda en 50000.
Otro problema está en pasar los valores a Excell. Soy capaza de hacerlo pero hasta un número determinado de valores, unos 65000, no puedo llevar los 128000 que me mide el pico. Quería saber que debo hacer para conseguir exportar todas las medidas.
Respecto a lo que me aconsejó antes sobre usar pico log, lo he usado pero el mide unos valores de voltaje que no se corresponden con lo que yo se supone que estoy midiendo, por eso he dejado de usarlo.
Gracias por la ayuda

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hola Cristina

El problema en pasar los valores a Excel es un límite de Excel - el software de Excel tiene un límite de 65000. Si quiere pasar más (128000) valores necesitará ponerlos en otra columna.

¿Cuando tenía problemas con Picolog, que versión usaba? ¿Ha usado la última versión - R5.12?

En Picoscope, el software tomará un número de medidas cerca del número que ha determinado. Cuando pueda, el software toma el mismo número de muestras, pero en muchas ocasiones tiene que cambiar el número un poco a causa de la programación del software y como funciona el osciloscopio.

Espero que lo he explicado bien.

Dígame si tiene algunas preguntas o problemas más.

Saludos Cordiales

cristina
User
User

pico scope, number of samples

Post by cristina »

Hola y gracias por la ayuda,
Usé una versión de Pico log recorder R5.07.4. Cuando lo utilizaba yo tenía conectado a Pico un generador y Pico log me grababa unos valores que no se correspondían con lo que el generador me daba. No sé que es exactamente lo que medía.
Gracias.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hola Cristina

Gracias por la información. Picolog R5.07.4 es un poco antiguo, le recomendaría usar la versión nueva - R5.12. Se puede descargarlo desde nuesto website:

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

Saludos Cordiales