PCI parallel port adapter

Post any questions about our parallel port products
trezel

PCI parallel port adapter

Post by trezel »

Hi,

I'm tech in a french University.
We used picoscope for years on PCs running Windows XP, but we change them, and now we have Win7 PCs.
This machines didn't have parallel ports, so I had PCI parallel port adapter (lindy 51325).
Is this kind of hardware compatible with pico5 and adc-212 ?

Thanks for your answer

Hitesh

Re: PCI parallel port adapter

Post by Hitesh »

Hi trezel,

If the lindy 51325 is provided with drivers then it should be ok to use. If it is for parallel port printers only then it will not be suitable.

Below is an excerpt from some text provided by PeterF in relation to this:
Since you have an ADC-212, which can be used as an automotive scope as well, you can also use the AUTOMOTIVE version of PicoScope6 instead of PicoScope5.

PicoScope6 Automotive is the same as the Test & Measurement version but with an added menu for automotive measurements, you can ignore that. (The PicoDiagnostics program supplied with PicoScope6 automotive will not, however, run on an ADC-212).

This latest version of PicoScope5/PicoLog (& PicoScope6 Automotive on the ADC-212 only) should work with most PCI, PCI express & Cardbus (PCMCIA) parallel port cards that provide an LPT port in the devices list. A card which just provides USB printing support only will not work. One way of checking this is that the correct type of adapter card requires a driver provided by the manufacturer whereas the wrong type does not and installs using a generic Windows driver.
Below are examples of cards from one manufacturer that were tested here:

For desktops with PCI card slots:-
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 89015.html

For desktops with PCI Express card slots:-
http://www.delock.com/produkte/gruppen/ ... 89219.html

You can download the PicoScope 6 Automotive software from http://www.picoauto.com/download-software.html

Please note that Pico Technology is not responsible for the content of third party sites.

I hope this helps.

trezel

Post by trezel »

Hi,

I made a little step forward, but still doesn't work well :
First, I have to precise that I have two things to install :
Picoscope 6 to connect to an ADC-212 device
Picoscope 5 to connect to an ADC-100 device

I tried Picoscope 6 automotive : installation OK. Picolog starts, finds ADC-212, and a signal appears from it
Picoscope 5.06.3 (version teachers used on XP) : no signal at all from ADC-100
Picoscope 5.17.1 -> install OK (desactivating Parallel PCI Card first) -> Receives a signal from ADC-100, but it's only background noise (according to the teacher who is used to make this manip)

The teacher who use ADC-212 was not present, but I receive the same kind of signal in picoscope 6/ADC-212 conf, so I think the problem is the same.

I tried to change parameters in device configuration (use or not interrupt, enable plug and play...), and in the bios too, but no result : always background noise, even if we can see that something changes when we act on the sensor plugged in the ADC-100, but not as it should.

Some more idea about what happens ?

P.S. : I opened two posts for the same problem. I will close the other one and keep only this one for now... It will be easier to follow for me, the people who answers, and the others that will read it...

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi trezel,

I would suggest installing PicoScope 5.21.2 - you can find this on our software downloads page:

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

In step 1, select either the ADC-212 or ADC-100.

I would suggest uninstalling the old software first.

Hope this helps.

trezel

Post by trezel »

OK,

I reinstalled my PC back, to get a clean configuration, and installed PicoScope 5.12.2 as you said.
Installation was OK, both ADC-100 and ADC-212 are "recognized", but still the same issue.
A signal is caught from devices, but not the correct one.
I noticed that, when launching PicoScope with ADC 212 plugged, I've got that irregular line from "background noise" on the screen, and the red light at the front of the device is blinking at the same frequency. If it can help you to diagnose my issue...

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi trezel,

Could you please provide a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Is there any improvement with the ADC-212 using PicoScope 6 Automotive?

Regards,

trezel

Post by trezel »

At least, it finally works !

Here is what I did :

First, a teacher came and tested ADC 212 : I thought it received only background, as the ADC100 did, but in fact, it wasn't. She adjusted setting in pico5, and it was ok. Then, we decided to try plugging experience that was normally used with ADC 100 and discovered that it worked with ADC 212 too !
No need for ADC 100 no more
A little precision : to make ADC 212 work with picoscope5.12.2, I had to install picoscope6 automotive : It seems it installs some more drivers than picoscope 5. After a reboot of the PC, it's OK, picoscope 5 works well.

So, I think we can say : ADC 212 works with this Lindt PCI/parallel adapter, but not out of box !

Thank you very much for your help. It doesn't give me the complete solution, but interesting tips that drove me to it.

Best regards

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi trezel,

Good to hear that it is working :D

Best wishes,