minimum requirement for logging this analyzer

Which product is right for your exact requirements
david@countrysky.net

Post by david@countrysky.net »

I have one of these:

http://www.lptech.com/lp1250.html

It comes with software that provides a scope like interface, reads from the analyzer through the serial port. It's nice, but there is no logging capability. I run a wireless ISP, I use this to survey license free frequencies. So if I survey for 4 hours, come back and the screen shows a high peak hold on a certain channel, great. But *when* did that peak occur?

Anyhow, the unit also will attach to 'any oscilloscope'. Is there a low cost Pico Tech solution that could use the scope hook ups and my laptop to capture data from this analyser? It seems like your products could easily accomodate, I just can't quite figure out what I need.

-DD

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

I have looked at the webpage that you supply and cannot find any information on the type of outputs that the unit offers. Does it just have an RS232 output?

Our oscilloscopes have BNC inputs and thus will not interface with an RS232. If it has another output type, could you supply me with details as to it's nature and also the nature of the output signals it gives?

Best Regards

david@countrysky.net

Hi,

It has two BNC connectors, and also a 9-pin serial. They say in the docs you can use a laptop on the serial port (which I've done), or you connect to 'any oscilloscope', their words. I guess I don't know the signal type. What would I need to use the data loggers?

David

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post and the extra information.

The Oscilloscopes that we offer will acceot input voltages of up to ±20V. The inputs are BNC inputs.

If the BNCs that you mention are outputs from the unit then you may be able to connect them to the oscilloscope. What you need to be careful of is that they don't give out a voltage bigger than ±20V as bigger voltages can damage the unit.

The oscilloscope would accept an analogue voltage input and then would connect to the computer either via USB or the parallel port (depending on the model).

Hope this helps

Best Regards

david@countrysky.net

Hi Sarah,

I got some more info on the two BNC outputs on my spec analyzer. They are described in the manual as follows:

CH1 (video): - detected video output. 0 V = bottom graticle, 4.0 V = top graticle.

CH2 (trigger): - trigger output. Output goes from 0 VDC to +5 VDC, and back to 0 VDC at the beginning of every sweep.

So the voltage sounds like no problem. Can I use any of your data loggers with this? Any chance I could use DrDaq?? I just want to turn on my analyzer and keep some sort of dump a few hours at a time.

Thanks,

David

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi David

Thank you for your post.

You cannot really use the DrDAQ for this application. I would recommend using an oscilloscope such as the ADC-212/3 for this application as this has BNC inputs which would interface easily and has a high sampling rate of 3MS/s.

More information on the ADC-212/3 is available on our website at:

http://www.picotech.com/digital_oscilloscope.html

You can look and see if you think this will suit your needs.

Hope this helps

Best Regards