How do I record data from multiple devices?

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Hitesh

How do I record data from multiple devices?

Post by Hitesh »

Multiple identical or different loggers can be used at the same time on one PC running under one instance of PicoLog. Here are example instructions provided by PeterF on how to use, for instance, five USB TC-08 loggers at a time:-

1. Plug five TC-08s in via a powered USB hub. Start up PicoLog. Select 'File', then 'New Settings'. In the 'Recording' dialogue box, tick the box for 'Use multiple converters'.
Recording dialogue
Recording dialogue
Recording Dialogue.PNG (4.79 KiB) Viewed 19794 times
2. Continue to the 'Converters' dialogue and select 'Add'. This will take you to the 'Converter Details' box where you select TC-08 (USB). PicoLog should find all the loggers.
Converters dialogue
Converters dialogue
Converters.PNG (3.69 KiB) Viewed 19794 times
Converter details dialogue
Converter details dialogue
Converter details Dialogue.PNG (9.23 KiB) Viewed 19794 times
3. Click on the first one shown in the 'USB Devices' box and click 'OK'. You will be returned to the 'Converters' dialogue where you click 'Add' again. This will take you to the 'Converter Details' box where you select TC-08 (USB) for second time.

4. When the second USB TC-08 is found, click 'OK', this will return you to the 'Converters' dialogue where two TC-08s should be shown.
Converters dialogue with 2 devices
Converters dialogue with 2 devices
Converters 2 devices.PNG (4.42 KiB) Viewed 19794 times
5. Repeat 3 & 4 until all five USB TC-08 devices are found.
Converters dialog with 5 devices
Converters dialog with 5 devices
Converters 5 devices.PNG (5.44 KiB) Viewed 19794 times
6. Click on 'Parameters' to set up each individual channel, for each TC-08, one at a time.

All five USB TC-08 devices will now behave as if they are one 40 channel data logger.
PicoLog Recorder window
PicoLog Recorder window
The data from all channels is saved to the data file & 'Recorder' view can display all the channels at once. Only 20 channels can be displayed at any one time in 'Graph' & 16 channels in 'Spreadsheet' view.

(Viewing more than 20/16 channels at a time would be difficult to interpret)

Note: If you are looking to use different types of PicoLog data logger devices, please ensure that the tick box to 'Install for other devices' is selected in the 'Default Device Selection' dialogue during the installation process.
PicoLog Installer - Default Device Selection
PicoLog Installer - Default Device Selection

Tekky

Re: How do I record data from multiple devices?

Post by Tekky »

Dear All,
I have set up PicoLog to record data from three ADC-24 dataloggers and have the PLW Recorder displaying all 48 channels simultaneously. The article indicates that when the 'record' option is selected then all 48 channels
will be recorded. However I would like to export the recorded/saved data to excel or some other data analysis software and so far I can only ever see up to 16 or 20 channels of the recorded data using the PLW Player. It does mention this in the article, but how do I access all 48 channels of recorded data?
Regards, Tekky

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Tekky,

Section 9 in the PicoLog Self-Help Guide (available from http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/pi ... uide-1.pdf) provides guidance on grouping channels so that you may view them in turn - below is an extract:
You need to define multiple "Groups" of channels, no more than 20 (or 16) at a time
from the channels you have. You can then at any time call up these groups for viewing,
in quick succession. Please see page 37 of the PicoLog manual (issue 5) for how to set
up a group (please refer to the Related Documents section).

In the Recorder view you can choose which of the groups you display by selecting
Settings, Monitor and then, in the Select Parameters dialog, select the required group.
(You can leave it set to display all channels in the recorder main window.) When viewing
in Graph, select 20 or 16 channels at a time and when in Spreadsheet select just blocks
of 16.
To export all the data, click File -> Save as... and change the 'Save as type' in the 'Save file as...' dialog to 'Text files (*.txt)' or Comma separated value files (*.csv).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tekky

Post by Tekky »

Hello Hitesh,
Many thanks for the advice as I am now able to access all of the data I need as one record.
Regards, Tekky.