PC: Windows 7

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Colin

Hitesh

Re: Networking to TC-08

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Colin,

What is the error code displayed on the blue screen when it occurs?

The device should be connected via a USB port to the PC, so you should be able to use a USB LAN Extender, but there will most likely be issues with trying to provide a USB port via LAN connection.

Regards,

ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Hi Hitesh,

Attached is an image of the blue screen error:
blue screen error
blue screen error
What is the difference between a USB LAN extender and a USB port via LAN connection and why does it make a difference?
The setup I am using is wired as follows:
Ethernet card in my PC -> Netgear GS110TP POE Switch -> Unitek Y-7120 Networking USB -> TC-08

I also had a coworker try it out on his machine (he has PicoLog R5.22.8) and he received the same error code in the blue screen crash.

Thanks,
Colin

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the image - it looks like a memory error after searching for 'Windows 7 error code 7E'

A USB Lan Extender will use an ethernet connection to extend a physical USB port whereas I suspect the USB port via LAN connection is emulating a USB connection via software.

Does the Device Manager show a TC-08 listed when it is connected via your port? The Windows Event Viewer may provide some further information on the error.

The device is designed to connect to a USB port on a PC and the driver will communicate over a USB connection. You may be better served using a USB - LAN extender instead, ensuring that the connection is powered.

Best wishes,

ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for the explanation. The TC-08 does show up in device manager:
TC-08 Connected through USB Server
TC-08 Connected through USB Server
And here is what it looks like when plugged directly into the PC. The Location is different but otherwise looks the same.
TC-08 Connected directly to PC
TC-08 Connected directly to PC
Windows Event viewer doesn't appear to say anything new to my untrained eyes:
Event 1001, BugCheck

Code: Select all

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000007e (0xffffffffc0000005, 0xfffff8800a4d8f13, 0xfffff88006d4b1f8, 0xfffff88006d4aa50). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 062014-21543-01.
The MEMORY.DMP file is 677MB

I could try out a usb lan extender but they appear to cost about 10x as much as the devices I bought. Also, I already bought 6 of the Unitek servers to go with our 6 TC-08s. Despite most usb LAN extenders having multiple ports, I would still need 4 or 5 of them because the TC-08s are typically spread over multiple locations, being used by different users.

This is the usb lan extender I found: http://www.l-com.com/usb-icron-usb-20-r ... der-system
At that price I may as well buy laptops to log the data instead of connecting over the LAN. Do you know of anything more cost effective?

Any chance this can work with the devices I already have? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Colin

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Colin,

It's possible that the device is not receiving sufficient power via the Ethernet port.

Do you have power socket close to the location of the USB TC-08? If so, you could try connecting a small powered USB hub to the USB port provided by your extender and then plug the USB TC-08 into the hub.

Regards,

ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Hi Hitesh,

The Unitek USB server is powered with an AC-DC adapter so I would assume the device is getting all the power it needs. Just to be sure I tried connecting the TC-08 through an externally powered USB Hub but I am still receiving the same BSOD.

-Colin

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Colin,

Thank you for trying this step.

Looking back at the Blue Screen image, the error is linked to GenHC.sys which may be a file used by the driver for your Unitek product.

You may wish to contact the manufacturer regarding this. If this does not help, please e-mail support@picotech.com as Windows Event Logs might be useful.

Thanks,

ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Will do, thanks for the support Hitesh

ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

To follow up on the forum after the email conversation:

Couldn't find a method to make the Unitek devices work with PicoLog. But Hitesh did find another cost-effective device that has been verified to work correctly with the TC-08 so I plan on getting one:
http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP204/

Thanks again for helping me out with this.

ColinJ

Post by ColinJ »

Just finished testing the connection to a TC-08 over our local network with the IOGEAR GUWIP204. All is good, this device works fine with PicoLog.

Thanks for the advice.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the update.

Good to hear that this device is working for you.

Regards,

Hitesh