Simple binary serial decoding

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
carloman

Simple binary serial decoding

Post by carloman »

ChA:data; ChB:clock
ChA:data; ChB:clock
Hi all,

Q: I wish to use Serial Decoding mode on the
Picoscope to decode the clocked serial data attached in the psdata file and screenshot...for those who want a quick look.

Its a very straight forward serial data line which is clocked on the positive edge and I wish to sample this data on the negative edge only....and have the binary values presented to me. (They can be hex but I prefer binary)

I wish to view the data (Ch A) as binary at each negative edge of the clock (Ch B).

I have tried SPI mode...to no avail. I only get "unknown" packets..perhaps because the stream does not adhere to any protocol.

This data is not formatted/packeted in any way...it is just constant clocked serial data I wish to view.

Can anyone suggest how to do this. Thanks.

carloman

(Otherwise my option is to write my own "decoder" in LV via the PICO.)

PICO details:
PicoScope® 6 - PC Oscilloscope software version: 6.7.28.7
Copyright © 1995-2013, Pico Technology Ltdodel: PicoScope 3204
USB Version: 2.0
Calibration Date: Tuesday, 27 April 2010
Hardware Version: 5
Driver Version: 3.6.4.187

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Simple binary serial decoding

Post by Martyn »

We have just released a custom serial decoding option in our beta software http://labs.picotech.com/ can you post the psdata file and I will see what I can do.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

carloman

Post by carloman »

Hi,
psdata file is too large to attach ie: its 645k, and limit is 500k, so you can download it from here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101 ... ing.psdata

Thanks for your efforts.

carloman

carloman

Post by carloman »

Hi.
Well, I downloaded and tried the new beta 6.9.5 myself with the static psdata file I had created and I was able to get the decoding I needed with the SPI option.
I've attached a screenshot showing the settings I used FYI.
You can see the red clk...and I wish to sample the blue data on every neg edge of the clk.
Although the menu interaction seems a little wonky ie: settings reset themselves for no apparent reason, this works for me.
I'll need to see how fast I can go and how much data it can resolve, in due course.
Cheers.
carloman
P6-9beta-serial-decode.PNG