TC-08 and Linux

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
mcbridep

TC-08 and Linux

Post by mcbridep »

We intend using a Pico TC-08 with Linux (Red Hat 7.2). We have obtained the file tc08.tar, but need answers to the following questions.

-The driver tc08lnx places the results of conversions in the shared memory block. How may we convert these integer numbers to temperatures?

-The driver does not appear to provide any means of changing the resolution of the device, filter factor or accessing the cold junction temperature etc. How may this be acheived?

-The file tc08.tar does not contain the source file tc08lnx.c . How may we obtain this file?

Regards
Peter

matthew
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by matthew »

Hi Peter,

The best answer to your first question lies in the help files tc08.hlp (located in the Start Menu | Programs | Pico Technology once you have installed the windows application)
This contains information on how to convert values.

The Linux driver does not have the capability to change the resolution directly but the following information will help you to modify the driver (from the help file):

0x00, /* Channel 1 */
0x20, /* Channel 2 */
0x40, /* Channel 3 */
0x60, /* Channel 4 */
0x80, /* Channel 5 */
0xA0, /* Channel 6 */
0xC0, /* Channel 7 */
0xE0, /* Channel 8 */

0x01, /* version */

0x22, /* Cold junction- reference */
0x42, /* Cold junction- thermistor */

RES_16BIT 0
RES_15BIT 0x04
RES_14BIT 0x08
RES_13BIT 0x0C

The above would be #defines in your application
All you need to do is perform a logical bitwise OR on the channel address with the resolution code:

Code: Select all

channel_3 = 0x40 | RES_14BIT
(All channels must be the same resolution though).

With regards to the driver code you would like ... I will email this to you.

Best Regards,
Matt Everett

Pico Software Engineer

jaycee

Driver code

Post by jaycee »

matthew wrote:Hi Peter,

Best Regards,
I'm looking at using the TC-08 on our underpowered lab logging PCs, and consequently started with a view to using linux.

Is it possible to get this driver code? I'd find it really useful to get a grip on the wire-protocol being used without having to sniff the serial connection! :-)

On a related note, is the source not included in the tar file for corporate, or for other reasons?

Many thanks,
jc

Jonathan Matthews

Re: Driver code

Post by Jonathan Matthews »

jaycee wrote:
matthew wrote:Hi Peter,

Best Regards,
I'm looking at using the TC-08 on our underpowered lab logging PCs, and consequently started with a view to using linux.

Is it possible to get this driver code? I'd find it really useful to get a grip on the wire-protocol being used without having to sniff the serial connection! :-)

On a related note, is the source not included in the tar file for corporate, or for other reasons?

Many thanks,
jc
Baa humbug.
Did the registering thing, but not the subsequent logging in thing. :-(

I posted the quoted message, FWIW.

jc

David ward

Copy of tc08lnx.c

Post by David ward »

Could you send me a copy of the source for tc08lnx.c too please?

I would like to modify the driver to log to a file in the standard format we use on our instrument rather than have a separate process just to convert the format of a text file.