Serial decoding

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
jswanson
Active User
Active User

Serial decoding

Post by jswanson »

Hi,

If you select serial decoding (UART/232) before the scope has captured any data then it crashes.

Also are there any plans to support DALI and DSI (lighting protocols)? Is it possible to define your own protocol?

DALI protocol can be found here: http://litecontroller.com/dali/frame.asp

Jeremy.
Attachments
Report_2012_12_06.zip
(8.56 KiB) Downloaded 556 times

bennog
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Serial decoding

Post by bennog »

Ok if we are talking lighting protocols you also should add DMX512 8)

jswanson
Active User
Active User

Post by jswanson »

You can decode DMX512 by triggering on the break (pulse width > 80us) and then using serial 232 decoding @ 250kbps. You have to count the channels though, but if you are only using the first few it's quite useful.

jswanson
Active User
Active User

Post by jswanson »

Any thoughts on the DALI decoding? A more general solution would be to have a Mancester decoder similar to the Teledyne LeCroy’s configurable Manchester decoder.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We are working on a release with Custom Serial Decoding and we have a test build for trial. If interested please contact support@picotech.com
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

jswanson
Active User
Active User

Post by jswanson »

Hi Martyn,

Any news on the custom serial decoding. I tried the previous version, but couldn't get it to work with Manchester encoded signals. Even decoding to binary would be useful as it's difficult to read Manchester encoded data on the scope.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We will be releasing a beta version including the custom serial decoding feature very soon, it is currently being tested in house.

It is based on the trial version, did you request a copy of that version when it was available, and is that the version that didn't work with Manchester encoding ?
Martyn

jswanson
Active User
Active User

Post by jswanson »

Hi Martyn,

Yes, I do have a copy of the beta, but I couldn't make it work with Mancester coded data. I don't have Visual Studio, so was trying the XML method. Do you have an example decoding for decoding Manchester encoded data?

Regards,

Jeremy.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We don't have any examples at present so can you post a psdata file (single screen capture to reduce size) with the signal you wish to decode and the expected decode values and we can take a look.
Martyn

jswanson
Active User
Active User

Post by jswanson »

Hi Martyn,

Please find the data you requested. The waveform also shows some serial data. Ignore the first byte and the subsequent byte(s) correspond to the DALI data. I have also posted some information regarding the timings. TE= 416.67us.

Regards,

Jeremy.
Attachments
DALI Timings.pdf
(93.49 KiB) Downloaded 580 times
20140513-0001.psdata
DALI waveform
(23.21 KiB) Downloaded 692 times

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I have passed this to the development team to take a look and see what is possible.
Martyn

jswanson
Active User
Active User

Post by jswanson »

Thanks Martyn,

Whilst on the subject of serial decoding, this time I2C, I would suggest the following improvements:

1. The Address and Data fields both start with repeated titles and are left justified, so you need to zoom in rather more than necessary in order to see the ACK. I would suggest removing the repeated word and centre justifying the text. (See attached image).

2. Decoding significantly slows down the capture. It would be nice if there was a way of quickly enabling and disabling the decoding. Currently you have to go through the menus and set the decode to none to disable and reselect the protocol to enable. A check box on the Serial Decoding panel would be great!

Regards,

Jeremy.
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The beta software we are currently testing in house now has a tick box to enable/disable serial decoding without changing the decoding settings.

I will pass on your comments regarding the repeated titles.
Martyn

m.koeppchen

Post by m.koeppchen »

Hello Martyn,

please let me know if there are some new features, witch make Manchester encoded serial protocols decodable.

Regards Mathias

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Manchester Encoded serial packet decoding is not available at the present time.

There is a feature request with the development team for this, so I will add your details to it.
Martyn