Crash on start

Forum for discussing PicoLog
mojo

Crash on start

Post by mojo »

Hi.

I was using the PicoLog software without issue until today. Now it crashes as soon as I open it. Doesn't make any difference if the hardware is connected or not. I tried uninstalling and upgrading to the latest version (5.23.0) but it still doesn't work.

I am running Windows 7 x64.

Hitesh

Re: Crash on start

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

It's possible that your settings file may have become corrupted.

Please navigate to the folder C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Pico Technology on your PC.

Find the folder containing the plw.ini file and delete this folder. If there is more than one, delete all folders containing this file (make a backup copy if you wish).

Then try restarting the software.

Note: To access the AppData folder and below you will need to be able to view hidden folders within Windows:
  • Go to C:\Users\ in Windows Explorer
  • Click 'Organise' and select Folder and Search Options.
  • Click the View tab, then under Hidden Files and Folders, select the tickbox to 'Show hidden files and folders', then click 'OK'.
I hope this helps.

mojo

Post by mojo »

Thanks. Deleting the config file fixes it, but only one time. Every single time I start PicoLog this happens, and I have to go back and delete the settings files. It seems that the default config is enough to crash it. If I try to save and then re-load an old config from somewhere else it crashes too.

Needless to say it is very annoying having to set everything up from scratch every time I want to use it. It seems to crash when the computer comes out of hibernation too.

mojo

Post by mojo »

Would a dump or stack trace help?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

Please send the trace file to support@picotech.com and we can take a look.

Could you please confirm if you deleted the Recorder.pls file as well when you deleted the plw.ini file?

Thanks,

mojo

Post by mojo »

I can't seem to generate one now. Is there any other way I can debug PicoLog, like some kind of command line switch or something?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

There isn't any other information from PicoLog.

Are you able to check the Windows Event Viewer? This can be accessed via the Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools folder on your PC.

It might have the location of a trace file.

You could try uninstalling the software and reinstalling it as well.

Regards,

mojo

Post by mojo »

This is all that was in the event log:

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: plw32.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52a04054
Faulting module name: plw32.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x52a04054
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x00096d1d
Faulting process id: 0x320
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf74c88cb928b4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pico Technology\Pico Full\plw32.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Pico Technology\Pico Full\plw32.exe
Report Id: ce15eb1f-e0bb-11e3-b7ea-2c27d73a6d6b
I tried doing a re-install, didn't help.

mojo

Post by mojo »

Here is a dump of the process: https://mega.co.nz/#!8Mg2nQxT!pF8jhzFmG ... FiYXutmb_U

Is there anything else I can do? I have VS2008/2010/2012 installed but couldn't seem to get any useful information with the debugger.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi mojo,

Try searching your PC for any files named player.pls (or PLAYER.PLS) as well as recorder.pls (or RECORDER.PLS), then delete them.

It's possible one of these may be causing an issue.

Regards,

mojo

Post by mojo »

There are only the ones in AppData.

mojo

Post by mojo »

We now have another Windows 7 x64 machine here that was upgraded from Windows XP, and has exactly the same problem. It makes the PicoLog extremely annoying to use.

How can we get this resolved?

aarne

Post by aarne »

Just a guess.
Maybe first chance exceptions dump helps support team to determine which is the cause of the error?
procdump -ma -e 1 -l -w plw32.exe
or maybe
procdump -ma -e 1 -l -64 -w plw32.exe
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/dd996900
Debugger extension => http://sdrv.ms/11C7S9c

Like I said, just a guess.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hello mojo,

Is your Windows 7 installation fully up to date?

You can try the following:

1. Try starting the software using an Administrator account, or right-click the plw32.exe file and choose the option to Run as Administrator.

2. Try running the plw32.exe file in Compatibility mode for Windows XP (we have a Windows 7 64-bit PC on which PicoLog runs).

With your upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 64-bit do you have a folder in the following location:

C:\Program Files\Pico Technology\Pico Full

or is it (as it should be)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Pico Technology\Pico Full

If you could please provide a screenshot of all the files in the installation folder (e-mail it to support@picotech.com if you prefer) we can see if anything related to parallel port products may have been installed.

Regards,

mojo

Post by mojo »

Hi. The Windows 7 install is up to date. On one test computer it was a fresh install on a machine that dual boots into XP, on the other it came with 7 from factory. The XP one works if booted into XP.

I made two dumps, thanks aarne:

https://mega.co.nz/#!cApSxCQI!OKyE4kMAl ... 1XyaA7aWeM
https://mega.co.nz/#!wY4iQIST!X66Y7RWmr ... ltIkO86joY