Picoscope suitable for task?

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Dr_Radar

Picoscope suitable for task?

Post by Dr_Radar »

Hi,

I am looking to get 2 picoscopes to sample a signal from a experimental radar system.

I have a few questions before I buy. I am considering the 5000 Series PicoScope 5243A/B.

My requirements are:
1 Channel is being sampled, Sampling rate of at least 1MSps, Bandwidth at least 100 kHz, Dynamic range the bigger the better really (14-16 bits).
  • Is is possible to stream the data real time?
  • The memory buffer. Does this relate directly to the longest recording possible? Is is possible to set the system to 1 MSps rather than the full sample rate to increase my capture time?
  • When I look here, http://www.picotech.com/picoscope5000.html, it shows that the scope has a memory of 128 MS, but clicking on the scope tha tI want it then only shows an option for 16MS or 32MS+AWG. Is it not 128MS?
  • Can I stream data into Matlab or Labview?
  • What is the captured data format?
Many thanks for any responses.

Hitesh

Re: Picoscope suitable for task?

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Dr_radar,

In reponse to your questions:

1. These are real time scopes so it should be possible to stream the data in real-time - you have to retrieve data from the device as it is collected.

2. The memory buffer will determine the largest size of the buffer used to temporarily store data for each channel. You can set the sampling interval for streaming mode captures - the driver will inform you of the sampling interval selected.

You can set a sampling rate of 1MS/s in 14- and 15-bit modes. In 16-bit mode, the closest sampling intervals would be 992ns or 1.008us. At 16-bit resolution, you can use downsampling to achieve the equivalent of 1MS/s.

3. In the 'SELECT YOUR OPTIONS' pane on the page, please click on the 100MHz bandwidth option - this will then show the Hardware options as '64 MS' or '128 MS + AWG.'

4. You can stream data into MATLAB and LabVIEW - we have examples for both. For MATLAB you will require the Instrument Contol Toolbox or will have to create your own script.

5. The captured data format for the above examples will be raw ADC count values (16-bit integers, or for MATLAB, doubles).

I hope this helps.

Dr_Radar

Post by Dr_Radar »

Thanks for your responses.

Regarding the raw ADC values, are they recorded in a .bin file?

Another question.

1) Can this Picoscope accept a 10 MHz reference clock.

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

The ADC counts would be returned as an array of values in your application. You can then save them to a file in your application.

The only PicoScope models that will accept an external reference signal would be the PicoScope 6000 series.

Hope this helps.