Offset Null

Forum for discussing PicoLog
NickS
User
User

Offset Null

Post by NickS »

Hi,
Whenever I attach the pico module (I'm using the ADC-100) the software seems to register an input even with the probe shorted.

The reading displayed is often nonsensical (for instance - 5Hz when logging frequency on PicoLog).
On PicoScope I can 'zero' settings using 'Offset Null'- is there a similar function for PicoLog?

I've downloaded the latest software, but the problem is still there- can you help?
Regards
Nick

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

It sounds as if you need to use the ADC-100 adaptor for incompatible parallel ports. This adaptor is supplied with the unit.

When you are using this adaptor you will need to tell the computer so that it recognises that it is there. To do this you need to insert the following patch into the win.ini file:

[ADC100]
UseAdapter=Yes

You should insert the patch on a new line and exactly as written above. When you have done this, save the file and exit. The Picoscope software should now recognise the adaptor and report "Use Adapter" in Help | About. The ADC-100 should also now be functioning normally.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

NickS
User
User

Offset Null

Post by NickS »

Hi Sarah,
Thank you for replying so quickly.

A couple of things- are replacement parallel port adapters available as I seem to have 'mislaid' mine?

Where is the 'win.ini' file and how do I access it?

Best regards
Nick

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Yes you can get a new adaptor by emailing us at tech@picotech.com with your full contact details and also stating that you need one.

To get to the win.ini file, go to the start menu and to Run. type in win.ini, press ok and it should open it up in a notepad style document.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

NickS
User
User

Post by NickS »

Hi Sarah,
Many thanks for the information- one other thing:
In the win.ini file the following appears:

[PicoScope for Windows]
FirstTime=No

Do I replace this with the patch, or add the patch to what is there already?
Regards
Nick

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The patch should be added on it's own, on new lines. It should not overwrite anything. Due to the nature of the win.ini file you should not delete or overwrite anything unless you know you can.

The bit which you mention in the win.ini file is relating to a different feature in the software whereby it knows if you are using it for the first time. You should leave these lines unaltered.

Hope this helps

Best Regards