USB Device Driver Unknown PicosScope 3425 & 3204

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
george lam

USB Device Driver Unknown PicosScope 3425 & 3204

Post by george lam »

After successfully installed the latest Pico Software (PicoScope6_r6_8_11.exe) on a Laptop with Win-XP_64Bit and connect the Picoscope-3425 to the USB-port, unfortunately Window replies with an "unknown Device-Driver".
Opening the Device Manager and attempting to find a device-driver for the mentioned Picoscope (automatically as well manually) without success. Everytime, I un-plug and replug to the USB-port, Window replies with "a New Device found, Device not Ready, etc..."
This is also the case for another type Picoscope 3204.
Now, I'm playing with the idea, may be both devices are not suitable for Win-64Bit, then I repeat the installation
on a Laptop with Win-XP_32Bit. Unfortunately, I get the same problem: Window replies with "Unknown Device-Driver".
So far, I have tried different USB-ports, un-installed/installed many times the latest software, including the original CD's software, etc..
Any idea what the problem could be ?
Where can I find a suitable USB-device-driver for the mentioned devices ?
Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance
GL

Hitesh

Re: USB Device Driver Unknown PicosScope 3425 & 3204

Post by Hitesh »

Hi GL,

Have you installed all the latest updates for Windows XP 32- and 64-bit?

Is there another PC running an operating system such as Windows 7 or 8 that you can test on?

Are you using a blue Pico USB cable or a white one?

Regards,

george lam

Post by george lam »

Hello Hitesh,

- on one PC: Win-XP Prof. x64 Edition, SP2
- there are no other operating system running on it.
- I am using a white USB-cable, is this OK ?
- on another PC: Win-XP Prof. x32, SP3 ? (at the moment the PC is not here, I will check it tomorrow).

Remark:
By accident I have found & read Pico's support site (Topic: "Installing under Windows XP 64-bit"),
here it mentioned some 3x additional requirements.
The first two I have downloaded from Pico's site.
Only the third one, the file "windusb.dll" is missing.
If you have this file, is it possible for you to send it to me ?

May be this could be the cause for not working on the 64-bit PC ??!!

Thanks
GL

george lam

Post by george lam »

Hello Hitesh,

I have made some inquiery and regarding testing on other operatingsystem, such as Win-7 or win-8:
No possibility at this time and also not on short term.

Regards.
GL

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi George,

Have you tried the winusb.dll that was made available for you?

Regards,

george lam

Post by george lam »

Hello Hitesh,

Yes I have tried the "winusb.dll", including following the instruction from PICO's site.
I also have tried different computer-systems, including Windows 7 and older computer-device & OS.
So far, all of them are not OK and giving the same responds: ". . . Unknown USB-Device, etc. . . ."

Yesterday I went to the Supermarket and bought for Euro 1,-- a general purpose USB-printer cable,
and see there, wow, all computer-systems start to recognise those two devices as "PICO USB-Dive, etc., etc....".

I think those two supplied white USB-cable should be the cause for the mentioned problem.
It seems these two cable just simply terminate the Plug-&-Play function of the PICO's USB-Oscilloscope devices.

Question:
What is so special inside these two white USB-cable in respect to the simple general purpose one ? :roll:

At last, everything is worked fine for me, even without any special installation-steps.
Just use the latest software downloaded form the PICO's site.
I also have found out that the latest software could always be installed
on older computer-device without latest Windows Update,
however using an older software-version, it was possible to do the installation and made everything work.

Anyhow, thanks for all your support. I think we can close this topic, at least speaking for myself.

Regards.
George. :D

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi George,

Good to hear the issue is resolved.

The white USB cables had reliability issues and were replaced by blue USB leads which are now supplied with new Pico products.

Best wishes,