Data logging ADC11

Post any questions about our parallel port products
gerrit
User
User

Data logging ADC11

Post by gerrit »

I'm measuring the RPM of an engine by an approximation switch and some other things (voltage).
When data logging there is no problem as long as I have a sampling rate of 1 second.
But I want to have have more samples per second, so I turn to a sampling rate of 1 ms.
Then the RPM reading falls away, the others stay, even if I try a sampling rate of 500 ms.

Can you help me out ?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

Are you using the frequency function in Picolog to get the RPM readings? This function will only work properly at sampling times of 1 second or slower.

If you wish to take frequency readings when sampling faster than this you might like to use Picoscope, however this will not record the readings you obtain.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

gerrit reitsma

ADC11 data logging

Post by gerrit reitsma »

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I'm using the frequency function to read the RPM.
It works in Picoscope very nice, but as you say I want to record the readings.

Do you have any suggestions to deal with this ?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

You may be able to write your own software that will do this for you. Drivers and basic examples are available on our website from:

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

Hope this helps

Best Regards

BentRods
Active User
Active User

Post by BentRods »

Hi Sarah
I too would like to see a the frequency capabilities improved for a faster update time when it comes to reading freq/RPM thats Logged, when I searched this forum some time ago I remember several requests/complaints with regards to this slooow or erratic feature thats handicapped to 1 sec update times while every thing else works fine at 50,000uS and to my expectations.. really I am happy with the software with the exception being for the freq measurement, would it really be that hard to address this issue to further improve this feature ?

Thomas

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your comments.

We are always looking to improve our software and I will pass on your suggestion.

Best Regards

BentRods
Active User
Active User

Post by BentRods »

Hi Sarah
Thanks for the reply,
I have a project that I would like to use the ADC11-12 and it would require around 10 to 20 samples per sec to measure acceleration, 1 sec updates times are out of the question, its just to slow.... now if it could be setup to sample at the default 50,000uS that would make me happy.

btw my Code skills are not yet Dangerous enough :twisted: that I could roll my own software/drivers, is there any help or anyone here that's willing to share this kind of thing when it comes to sampling Freq/RPM at 10 to 20 samples per second ?

Thanks
Thomas

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

The only thing I can suggest if you need to sample faster than 1 sample per sec, is to use our Picoscope software. This would enable you to meaure the frequency in real time.

Hope this helps

Best Regards