Intro and a quick question

Come here to introduce yourself, who you are, and what you do
AmanHaque

Intro and a quick question

Post by AmanHaque »

Hello everybody!

I have an application where I wish to actuate a device and need to measure the output voltage. The actuation voltage is just a step one, for example apply an 100 V DC bias to a piezo. I do not even need to measure actuation voltage. But my only critical need is I need high speed data 'right after' the actuation. How do I synchronize the actuation and data capturing? Is the PC oscilloscope 5000 Model overkill for this simple application? Also, if I am measuring DC data, is the MHz rating of the oscilloscope important?

Many thanks and apologies for the naivety!

MA

Hitesh

Re: Intro and a quick question

Post by Hitesh »

Hi MA,

You can use a trigger on an oscilloscope channel (or external trigger input) depending on the model.

What is the output voltage of the device?

How long do you need to capture data for after the event and how many samples do you require?

We have oscilloscopes ranging from 8-bit to 16-bit resolution. The resolution will determine the number of amplitude steps that the full scale voltage range (e.g. +/- 1V) can be divided into.

If the signal is DC only, then the bandwidth of the oscilloscope won't be important.

Regards,

AmanHaque

Post by AmanHaque »

Dear Hitesh,

Many thanks for your reply.

The output voltage is actually very small. I believe it will be smaller than 1V, but safely speaking, it is <5V.

I dont know exactly how many samples I will need for this experiment. So I am going for the highest under my budget ($I800-$1900). I guess model "PicoScope 3207A/B" is going to work, right?

What is an external trigger input (pardon my naivety)? Do I need to purchase it or it comes with this model? Is there any manual or literature that I can read to learn how to make this work?

Many thanks

MA

Hitesh wrote:Hi MA,

You can use a trigger on an oscilloscope channel (or external trigger input) depending on the model.

What is the output voltage of the device?

How long do you need to capture data for after the event and how many samples do you require?

We have oscilloscopes ranging from 8-bit to 16-bit resolution. The resolution will determine the number of amplitude steps that the full scale voltage range (e.g. +/- 1V) can be divided into.

If the signal is DC only, then the bandwidth of the oscilloscope won't be important.

Regards,

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi MA,

An external trigger input allows you to trigger the device using another signal source, without having to use one of the input channels used for data acquisition.

The PicoScope 3207A and B models have an external trigger input on the device.

You may also wish to consider the PicoScope 5000 series which has flexible resolution unless the onboard memory and USB 3.0 connection is important to you:

http://www.picotech.com/picoscope5000.html

The PicoScope 5242B or 5243B may be of interest, but please note that the buffer memory available is halved when the resolution is set to 12-bits or above.

There is a PicoScope 6 User Guide that you can refer to:

http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/psw6.en-33.pdf

Please refer to section 7.9 regarding the Triggering toolbar. You can also download the PicoScope 6 software for free from our website:

http://www.picotech.com/software.html

In step 1, please select the PicoScope 3207B and in step 2, please select the option for PicoScope 6.8.11.

We also have videos that may be of help:

Best wishes,
Last edited by Hitesh on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Update to allow YouTube videos to be displayed.