Inconsistent trigger on RS422

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
tonigau

Inconsistent trigger on RS422

Post by tonigau »

Picoscope 3224, 100ks/s, 'PicoScope6_r6_7_40' ? ,
Capturing 2 channels of RS422 data TX/RX, 1200,o,8,1 . 11 bytes ~106ms each channel 160ms from start of TX to end of TX, Its on a 1s cycle so plenty of idle time between polls.
With 20ms/div it triggers reliably on the first rising edge of data, But with 50ms/div it often triggers off other rising edges in the data packet. (20ms/div won't capture full RX packet).

Have tried trigger off either channel, Serial decode enabled/disabled, changing samples/sec., numerous advanced triggers, run laptop on battery(unplugged power) but all same result.

Is this a hardware issue with my 3224 ?

I'm trying to capture serial decoded data to correlate with Comm's datalogger & maintenance terminal error logs for analysis.

regards,

tonigau

Re: Inconsistent trigger on RS422

Post by tonigau »

Was onsite again today where the scope is setup. PS Ver. 6.8.8.16.

Setting the pre-trigger to > 20% (was 1% & 10%) seems to fix the problem, trigger is stable at the first rise, I can capture both complete waveforms now with decoded 422 data.
If only I could real time stamp the start of each decoded packet, that would be useful.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistent trigger on RS422

Post by Martyn »

Setting the trigger conditions to correctly capture your signal can take a bit of time. Sometimes it is worth using a slow timebase to see the repetitions.

Your request for a real time stamp has been noted.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager