Help: Find natural frequncy using Picoscope

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
mint8577

Help: Find natural frequncy using Picoscope

Post by mint8577 »

Hi everyone,
I am currently doing a final year project. I have a specimen of mild steel which the dimension in 200mm x 50 mm x 10mm.
My problem is i do not know how to find the natural frequency for mode 1 to mode 4 of my specimen. I totally dont have any idea how to acquire the data by using picoscope.

My equipments are Picoscope 3224 with 2 channels,an accelerometer, an exciting hammer and picoscope software.(I attach channel A for accelerometer and channel B for hammer).

All comments, opinions and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help: Find natural frequncy using Picoscope

Post by Martyn »

Not our area of experise, sorry.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

cryogene

Post by cryogene »

Hello mint8577,
Were you able to find out any more on your problem?
I have a similar setup with similar hardware and am also seeing if it's possible to view any more than just a spectrum display from the accelerometer feedback. Would really be nice to see the mode shapes, if possible.
Thanks for any feedback.

M.Heide

Post by M.Heide »

cryogene wrote:Hello mint8577,
Were you able to find out any more on your problem?
I have a similar setup with similar hardware and am also seeing if it's possible to view any more than just a spectrum display from the accelerometer feedback. Would really be nice to see the mode shapes, if possible.
Thanks for any feedback.
For the mode shapes a stationary wave you are going to need more than one sensor to acquire the spacial distribution of the mode. You could also have a constant source (automated hammer) and displace the sensor manual over the area.

I use a laser vibrometer with a scanning mirror system in front of it to acquiring vibration of an area.

Cheers,
Marcus

cryogene

Post by cryogene »

Thanks M.Heide!
Sorry been a while since I last checked in. Appreciate the response, will check into the laser vibrometer.
Apologies to Martyn for the off-topic reply.