Error message "Check USB cable"

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
fb78

Error message "Check USB cable"

Post by fb78 »

Hello,

Why I get the message "Check USB cable" when I select the time base to more than 100 ms/div ?

and when I click on the only "Cancel" button, I have to reselect the oscilloscope.

My settings:
- Windows XP Pro SP3
- PicoScope 6 Version 6.8.6.9
- PicoScope 2204A model, CW350/364

Thank you for your help

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Error message "Check USB cable"

Post by Martyn »

The message is indicating that the driver has lost contact with the scope, hence the message to check the cable. A few questions to help us diagnose what may be wrong.

Does this happen every time you switch to 100ms/div ? If so go to Tools->Preferences->Sampling and change the transition time to 2s/div does this alter this ?

Have you tried unplugging and replugging the cable ? Does this re establish contact ?

Are you using the supplied blue USB cable ?

What PC and O/S are you using ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

fb78

Post by fb78 »

Thank Martyn,

"Does this happen every time you switch to 100ms/div ?"
- This happens when I spend 100ms/div to 200ms/div and beyond, until 100ms/div is good.

"Have you tried unplugging and replugging the cable ? Does this re establish contact ?"
- The contact is restored simply by reselecting the Pico

"Did you use the supplied USB cable blue ?"
- Yes, of course

"What PC and O / S are you using ?"
- My PC is a portable "Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook C Series" Pentium CPU at 1.80 GHz, 480 MB of RAM
- My O/S is Windows XP Pro SP3

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Please go to Tools->Preferences->Sampling and change the transition time to 2s/div and then repeat the test and see at which point it pops up the message.

If this is linked to when the software switches to streaming mode I would expect that you can get to 1s/div without the "Check USB" pop up.

This will help us to identify if this is a PC resource issue.
Martyn

fb78

Post by fb78 »

That's OK, :D
Sorry, I had not made ​​the connection between the message and the setting (maybe it should be indicated in the error message)
Now I can even select up to 5000 s / div. EXTRA !!!

Thank you again Martyn :D

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

There are two modes of operation with the software :-

Block Mode - ns/div up to the "Collection Time" which by default is 200ms/div

In this mode the scope captures data to it's internal memory before transferring the data to the PC. The trace is not updated on the screen whilst this is happening but is drawn on completed collection of the block.

Streaming mod - from the "Collection Time" up to 5000s/div (nearly 14 hours)

In this mode data is streamed directly to the PC and not stored on the device. The software will read this data and draw the trace live.

I believe that when this transition occurs your PC is struggling to keep up with processing the data and drawing the trace and due to this the scope loses connection with the driver.
Martyn

fb78

Post by fb78 »

Ok, thank you for the information but I think it would be good to mention somewhere and be mentioned in the error message.

The scope does not lose the connection until to 5000s/div even with limited "low speed" USB connection.