Cost effective hobby project logging

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Simon Syncro

Cost effective hobby project logging

Post by Simon Syncro »

Hi
I have had a look through the threads but cant find an answer to my needs..
Although I have experience of setting up and using various test equipment, including Kaye validators.. I am not an electronics engineer so have limited knowledge and experience at the technical details and electronics assembly.. So please bare with me..

For my hobby project I need to collect some data at a cost effective rate...

I am looking to record a min of 1 pressure and 4 temperatures with the possibility of a shaft rotation speed pick up (in being helpful in referencing the collected data..

Temperature can be via type K ( I have a reel to hand) or similar TC's (temp range of ambient to 150c) but I don't need the "type K"accuracy.. 1 degree is good enough..
Pressure.. will be 0 to 7 bar.. and this might be the issue.. because of the environment the typical pressure senders are generally resistive.. 10 to 180 ohm... and higher quality transducers may be cost prohibitive..
Speed, an induction pulse
Sample rate every 5 seconds is going to be more than enough... but logging can be several hours..

Of course, some calibration will need to be performed on the pressure signal and as far as I can tell this is almost linear (which will provide a fair degree of accuracy for my application..

To record and review the data.. (and view live) on a laptop/netbook.. the laptop would be at least 5m from the measurement point..

I was thinking of the picolog 1012, but of course I need help, if this unit will do what I require.. and what extra components to enable recording.
Hope you might be able to guide me on this.
Kind regards
Simon

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cost effective hobby project logging

Post by Martyn »

Adding thermocouples to a 1012 would require additional circuitry, so you may wish to consider the TC08, which will handle the thermocouples, and then you can add on single channel terminal boards to take the other readings. It is what most people do when they want to measure pressure and temperature in a cost effective package, and without to much additional circuitry.

Please contact support@picotech.com to discuss this in more detail
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Simon Syncro

Re: Cost effective hobby project logging

Post by Simon Syncro »

Hi Martyn
Ok..
Will contact direct..
Thanks
Si