Power analysis w/ 2 PicoScopes?

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
ataylor

Power analysis w/ 2 PicoScopes?

Post by ataylor »

"PicoScope 6" section of the forum... sorry!

Question 1: I'd like to use two Pico oscilloscopes, plugged into the same PC running PicoScope 6 software. Is the software able to handle two 4-channel scopes? (total of 8 channels)? I'd also need them to be triggered simultaneously. Is this possible?

Question 2: How versatile are the math functions in the PicoScope 6 software? I would first need to make 3 math channels to convert line-line voltages to line-neutral (phase) voltages, and then multiply these three math channels with 3 channels from the other scope... is something like this possible?

Application: I'm interested in doing 3-phase power measurements on a PWM inverter. I'm interested in purchasing PicoScope 3425 for the three line-line AC voltage measurements, and the DC input voltage measurement. I would also need to purchase PicoScope 3404A to read my current sensor's output signal from three AC and one DC current probes (probably four of Fluke 80i-110s).

I'm basically trying to compete with the capability of Yokogawa power analyzers (see WT500). I understand the accuracy may not be as great, but this would be a big help if we could do it (since I can also get a lot more use out of having two PicoScopes laying around rather than a power analyzer and we would save cost... it would be hard to decode something like SPI traffic on a power analyzer screen = P)

Any input would be great, many thanks!
-->
Hello, I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is possible to do...
EDIT: After thinking about it, this post should probably be in the "Software"-->"PicoScope 6" section of the forum... sorry!

Question 1: I'd like to use two Pico oscilloscopes, plugged into the same PC running PicoScope 6 software. Is the software able to handle two 4-channel scopes? (total of 8 channels)? I'd also need them to be triggered simultaneously. Is this possible?

Question 2: How versatile are the math functions in the PicoScope 6 software? I would first need to make 3 math channels to convert line-line voltages to line-neutral (phase) voltages, and then multiply these three math channels with 3 channels from the other scope... is something like this possible?

Application: I'm interested in doing 3-phase power measurements on a PWM inverter. I'm interested in purchasing PicoScope 3425 for the three line-line AC voltage measurements, and the DC input voltage measurement. I would also need to purchase PicoScope 3404A to read my current sensor's output signal from three AC and one DC current probes (probably four of Fluke 80i-110s).

I'm basically trying to compete with the capability of Yokogawa power analyzers (see WT500). I understand the accuracy may not be as great, but this would be a big help if we could do it (since I can also get a lot more use out of having two PicoScopes laying around rather than a power analyzer and we would save cost... it would be hard to decode something like SPI traffic on a power analyzer screen = P)

Any input would be great, many thanks!