Suitable products for logging requirement

Which product is right for your exact requirements
Andrew L. Weekes

Suitable products for logging requirement

Post by Andrew L. Weekes »

I have a requirement to simultaneously monitor and log results for an engine build test bay.

The requirement is to monitor and log 10-12 thermocouples (various engine temps) for which a couple of the USB TC-08's look to be an ideal solution.

In addition I need to simultaneously log (in parallel to the above thermocouple data) an engine RPM signal (which I can signal condition myself to provide a pulse of suitable amplitude for capture - I'm not sure of the best product with which to do this. Ideally I'd like to read a number in RPM, which could maybe be created by using an analogue capture channel and doing a frequency to voltage conversion in some dedicated monitoring hardware I could design.

Can the above signals be captured in real time, in parallel, within the same application or does the non-temperature input mean a seperate logging program?

Thanks in advance,

Andy.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

It would be possible to use another, different unit on the same instance of Picolog, hence recording the readings in parallel.

Which unit would be best depends on the sort of frequencies you are looking at, and it should be noted that the sampling rate will need to be the same for the temperature and other readings if using the same instance of software.

It should also be noted that if using multiple converters you can only use Real Time Contiuous mode, and this limits you to a maximum sampling rate of 1ms.

I would recommend using a frequency to voltage converter as our loggers will only accept voltage inputs, it is difficult to measure frequency or pulses with them. If you just require one channel then I would suggest that our ADC-42 may be suitable, however if you want more than 1 channel our ADC-11 would be better and can give you 11 inputs.

The voltage input of the ADC-42 is ±5V, and the ADC-11 is 0 to 2.5V. Both units are interfaced via the parallel port.

Hope this helps

Best Regards