Saving raw binary data files

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
kholmz

Saving raw binary data files

Post by kholmz »

I'm trying to save the raw samples to a binary file. This seems like a fundamental thing to be able to do, but I don't see it as an option in PicoScope 6. I don't use Matlab and the .mat save option creates a file size of of 2.44GB for a 1GS capture. So there is obviously some overhead in it and really unusable anyways since it is a specific to Matlab. Is there a way to simply save the samples into a raw binary file? Even a .wav file format would be good.

Thanks,
kholmz

kholmz

Re: Saving raw binary data files

Post by kholmz »

OK so I didn't get any answers to that question, but is there anyway to obtain the raw binary samples? Assuming it would be signed or unsigned 8 bit binary, is there a temporary file that sits somewhere and holds these raw samples or are they just in RAM on my PC? Failing that, could I save the raw binary data if I was to take the time and write custom software for the PicoScope, correct?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving raw binary data files

Post by Martyn »

There is no temporary file, the Picoscope psdata format is the only option for saving all the data in a compact format at the present time. These files can only be opened in Picoscope although this does permit the sharing of data with colleagues who don't need a scope to see the captures as the software works standalone.

Writing your own software using the SDK is another option, examples exist for some common programming languages.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager