usb tc-08

Which product is right for your exact requirements
jansonr
User
User

usb tc-08

Post by jansonr »

I have been using a serial tc-08 that I borrowed from a friend to sample a 0-50mV signal. I now need to return the converter, and would like some advice as to a replacement.

If possible, I would like a low cost sampler, capable of measuring multiple channels (at least 3) for a range of 0-50mV. I do not need thermocouples etc, I just used a tc-08 as one was handy. I need at least 13-14bit accuracy, but if possible would like to sample faster than the serial tc-08 could manage (around 1 sample every 10ms ideally, but 20-25ms would be satisfactory).

Would the new usb tc-08 be the best converter for the job? I am looking to keep costs down if possible.

Also - does the usb tc-08 have a ground point on it? I will use it with a laptop without an earth lead, and so used to ground the serial tc-08 with a wire from the serial cable hood screws to a mains earth. As a usb connector does not have screws, is there an alternative method available for grounding the device?

Thanks,

Rob

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Rob

Thank you for your post.

I would recommend using the USB TC-08, whilst it does not quite have the sampling rate that you are looking for it certainly offers a better accuracy than any of the other possibilities.

The sampling rate of the USB TC-08 is twice as fast as the serial one - it can take a sample every 100ms, and this is split between the channels so that if you had 4 channels it would be every 400ms. If you wish to sample faster than this then you would need to use a different unit such as an ADC-212/3, however this only has 2 channels and a 12 bit resolution.

The USB TC-08 has had improved grounding on it and should not present the same problems as the serial version, however if it does it has a specific grounding point in the unit.

Hope this helps

Best Regards