Power generation transient responses

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Power generation transient responses

Post by Guest »

:roll: I am looking to measure 5 anologue channels simultaneously along with up to 3 digital inputs. On the analogue side I will be measuring...

Voltage
Frequency
Current
kWatts
kVar's.

The digital signals will indicate when load is applied and when starter contactors are energised.

All of the above need to be measured simultaneously to record the relationship between responses on a set timeline.

All analogue inputs can be either 4-20mA or 0-5v and will be derived from a series of transducers that will reduce Voltage from 415V and current in any range up to circa 2000A.

I want to record the transient response of a diesel generating set when a step load is applied. This could be either direct on line or star delta depending on the application or customers needs.

The power generation equipment will be running at 50Hz (1500rpm). To measure transient response I will need a reasonable resolution on the transient response, an event that is typically 1 ms in duration though may normalise over a period of up to 5 seconds. I would want to record the sequence over a 30 second period or for the duration of the test if the information can be continuously recorded and stored without overwriting.

I would appreciate any assitance you can give. Thanks.

Jack

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Jack

Thank you for your post.

It may be possible to use our ADC-11 unit for your application. This has 11 channels and an input voltage range of 0 to 2.5V. Using shunt resistors you could measure current.

Unfortunately the unit does not have any digital inputs, however if you just logged a voltage that was either high or low, then you could easily see on a graph what the state was.

The Picolog software would enable you to log these channels and view them as a graph to easily see how they relate to each other.

The ADC-11 has a maximum sampling rate of 10kS/s which is split between the active channels. You would need to decide if you think this is fast enough for your application.

You can get a 10 or 12 bit resolution ADC-11 unit (ADC-11/10 or ADC-11/12) so the 12 bit might be better for your needs.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Post by Guest »

Hello Sarah,

Thankyou for the assistance. Measuring the digital input's as you suggest will be straightforward. I will look at the need for sampling rates that may need higher resolution than 220S/cycle (50Hz with 11 active channels). It my be that we can use a dedicated ADC-11 for 1 or 2 high resolution channels. Will the Datalogger software accomodate different sampling rates from 2 off ADC-11's operating in parallel?

Thanks

Jack

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

You can run 2 ADC-11s on the same computer, however to get them using different sampling rates you will need to have 2 different instances of the software. If you use the same sampling rate then they can run on the same instance of software.

Hope this helps

Best Regards