AWG Phase Jumps

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Alan C

AWG Phase Jumps

Post by Alan C »

I have a 2206. I use a square-wave output to a driver circuit, and from there to a high 'Q' resonant circuit. The scope also looks at the high voltage from the resonant circuit, via a divider. Whenever anything is changed e.g. voltage scale or output frequency, there is a step change in phase to the driver circuit. BAD NEWS! The driver is no longer exciting the tuned circuit at or near it's natural commutation point. Like manually swinging a wrecking-ball - and suddenly being 'stepped' from the end of the travel into the middle! The driver doesn't like absorbing Q times the excitation energy! Any ideas? I'd hate to have to go back to a separate 'phase continuous' DDS signal generator.

I understand that if something changes, the current sweep is no longer valid, so you start a new one. I also understand you only send a new set-up command to the AWG, so it starts a new cycle ASAP. How about finishing the current output cycle before starting the next one? (Limit this to frequencies above 1Hz and no-one would notice!)

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AWG Phase Jumps

Post by Martyn »

I have notified the development team of this and will post once I have some feedback from them.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Unfortunately this is a restriction of the device architecture so can't be changed. Sorry.
Martyn

Alan C

Post by Alan C »

Thanks for the reply... Unfortunately, it's soooo much worse than I first realised!
I bought a second 2206 to find out what the AWG in the first one was doing ('stuff' only happens between sweeps).
Every few seconds, the AWG output goes and sits on the rail (either) for around 42.5ms :shock: at random !!! nothing changing as far as I can see. (The designers probably know why).
GUYS - HOW CAN THIS BE OK???? I was thinking of using **a lot** of these scopes, as part of a new product design.

Have you any advice on avoiding the AWG drop-outs?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Can you send a psdata file, File->SaveCurrentWaveformAs, to support@picotech.com and then I can discuss these issues in more detail with the team.
Martyn

Alan C

Post by Alan C »

Sent a bunch of traces and a couple of follow-up Emails? No resonse. Did you receive them OK?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Alan C,

Martyn has sent a response via our Helpdesk system.

Regards,