ETS performance, a real problem or pilot error?

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Eastern
Active User
Active User

ETS performance, a real problem or pilot error?

Post by Eastern »

I'm still trying to get "clean" but accurate waveforms from my new pico 3206 scope.
I first noticed a problem with a 60 MHz clock oscillator. In the standard trigger modes, the waveform shape and amplitude were inaccurately displayed. While the pico spectrum analyzer measured the correct frequency, the scope thought it was 40MHz.
Then I switched to ETS mode, 1M samples per trace, 3x ETS oversample, slow ETS update speed, unfiltered display mode. While the scope correctly measured the 60 MHz frequency, and the amplitude and shape looked much better, the waveform had hideous glitches all over it. (The clock is coming from a 60 MHZ clock oscillator with 100 ppm).

Then I connected my probe to a 1MHz square wave generated by the 3206 signal generator. The scope was set up the same way. The display showed a square wave with a significant amount of jitter on the falling edge (sampling on rising edge). I believe that the jitter is caused by a problem ETS is having with minute variations in signal duty cycle. The same problem shows up even with a 100 KHz square wave, but is less noticeable.

I hope someone could resolve this issue quickly because it is preventing me from trusting the scope for the type of work I intend on doing with it. (I do not want to buy another scope to double check the 3206 :-).

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post, I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing problems.

Could you email us some examples of what you have been seeing? If you could send us some .psd files to tech@picotech.com then we can have a look at them and use your settings to try and recreate the problem with a PS3206. Please remember to give us a brief outline of the problem in the email or a link to this topic.

Best Regards

Eastern
Active User
Active User

Post by Eastern »

I have sent a few examples to tech@picotech.com.

Please let me know if I'm seeing an intrinsic instrument limitation, or a bug that can be fixed with a software update.

Thanks