Connect PT104 to Ethernet

Post your .Net discussions here
eransh

Connect PT104 to Ethernet

Post by eransh »

Hello

I have tried to connect with pt104 with c#/c++ through my local network and succeeded,
But when I tried to connect from a server in a different "vlan" the result was "NOT FOUND"
By the way a ping works perfectly.
Our communication expert suspect that the 'gateway' and the 'netmask should be changed/updated.
In the manual I saw an application that can only set the IP Address and port (EthernetSettings).

How can I set the gateway and netmask of the PT104 ?

Best Regards
Eran Shifman

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Connect PT104 to Ethernet

Post by Martyn »

The PT104 is a relatively simple device in terms of the communication between itself and the driver on your PC. It does not need a gateway or netmask, only IP address and port, as it communicates directly with an endpoint. Please try specifying the port with the IP address when using the OpenUnitViaIp command, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy, as this may help get the initial communications going over a complex network.

Once communication is established, and the channels set up, the PT104 will transmit data back in a UDP packet for each conversion of data on the channels. Additionally every 3 seconds the driver will check that it still has communication with the device by sending a keep alive packet and expecting a positive response.

If you are still having difficulties the try running wireshark, or similar, on the PC with the driver and look at the packets that are sent out. Additionally run wireshark on a PC connected to a hub, not switch, that is also connected to the PT104 as this will show what packets the PT104 receives and transmits.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

eransh

Post by eransh »

hello martin

I did as you suggested and tried to connect with the ip and port number from a different 'vlan' and it worked :D ,
But when I tried to enumrate the all devices on the network I got nothing . I suppose its because the multicaste in UDP between 'vlan' to 'vlan' is blocked :?: .

Best Regards
Eran Shifman

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

It will be the telnet request for devices that is being blocked.

If you need to enumerate devices over a complex network put Wireshark on the driver PC and look at the packets being sent out and then let your network support know. Otherwise just use the fixed ip address and port.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager