serial connection and hardware flow control

Post any questions about our serial port products
watiss

serial connection and hardware flow control

Post by watiss »

Hi all.
I've got a general question concerning serial connection (I'm sort of a newbe in hardware and am having trouble managing a serial connection for a while now :( ) : does anyone know what hold_rx and hold_tx signals might stand for?
The datasheet I've got doesn't give enough information on that :? It just says the hold_* input pins are used to impelement hardware handshake of transmit direction, and we're not using any hardware flow control... So, should I put these input pins to high or to low??
Thank you in advance, this problem is really blokcing me :cry: ...

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: serial connection and hardware flow control

Post by Martyn »

Look up Ready to Send (RTS) and Clear to Send (CTS) which is the more common term
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

watiss

Post by watiss »

Thanks for your answer :)
You're rigt. Actually, I hadn't considered that! But then, even assuming that these hold_rx and tx signals are in fact the rts ans cts signals, should I put them to 0 or 1 (or float) if we're not using any hardware flow control :| ?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

If you are not using hardware flow control it should configure the chips to take no notice of these lines.
Martyn

watiss

Post by watiss »

Actually, the problem seems still seems to come from the hardware : I've been trying to send simple characters through a terminal application to my board (I let drop the very complex application I had previously been working on, just to make sure that the problem didn't come from the software). The characters I've sent are supposed to configure my board with a certain configuration (mentioned by my technical support contact) but we're still not receiving anything from the board (it is supposed to answer with two specific bytes, but there's nothing received :s ). So I think the problem must be with our connections, that we have re-tested and which seem OK though!
For what regards the configuration of the chip in order not to consider the RTS/CTS signals, I think this should also be done within hardware since the technical support advised me to put the RTS/CTS pins to GND and just send the hexa characters and wait for the board to answer (but it doesn't answer)...

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You are asking questions about a specific product, you need to ask these questions of the developers of the product. What is this board you are trying to communicate with ?
Martyn

watiss

Post by watiss »

I'm trying to communicate with an interface board we have ordered from another company and that we're trying to reach and configure within our own CPUs...
But you're right, I think the person who can help me is my technical support contact, and in fact I did contact him yesterday and we (finally!!) managed to establish the serial connection with the board (in fact we had to put the hold inputs to 0... and if it didn't work before, it was a matter of the channel itself which had a problem !!!) So it's OK now. I'm on a new "mission" with this board now (a bit more complicated though ^^) Thanks anyway for your answers :wink:

watiss

Post by watiss »

Oh and how should I mark the thread as resolved please?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi watiss,

You can indicate it as being resolved in your post :D

Regards,