Temperature & Current Logging.....

Forum for discussing PicoLog
GlennP

Temperature & Current Logging.....

Post by GlennP »

Hi All,
I am trying to log two currents and a temperature from a PicoLog 1216 and PicoLog 1000 board. I followed the PicoLog 1000 manual for measuring the current (section 2.5) and have some sensible results from it, I now need to measure a temperature. I am attempting to use a K type thermocouple but seem to get odd values from it, 3.36mV and 4.27mV, for a room that is around 23'c I believe these values correspond to between 89'c to 104'c. I have followed section 2 Making Measurements 2.1 Measuring up to +2.5V and have connected R35 a 10K resistor to allow for the reading. This produces the above reading if AC volts are used instead of DC there is no value indicated. Should AC volts be used for this as the thermocouple will produce a negative voltage at low temperature? If AC volts are selected on the PicoLog software the value read is 0.0000? do I need to use a potential divider to get it to work, your advice would be most welcome.
Thank You
Glenn Patton.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Temperature & Current Logging.....

Post by Martyn »

A colleague will be contacting you through your email helpdesk ticket to explain how to use the logger to measure temperature. You can't plug thermocouples in without additional circuitry, cold junction compensation, and appropriate scaling of the values.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager