VMware Player & Workstation problems

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
PRJeanneret

VMware Player & Workstation problems

Post by PRJeanneret »

The current versions of PicoScope 6 (normal & RC) don't seem to work with VirtualBox, VMWare Player & VMWare Workstation. Has anyone else had any luck with these (specifically Workstation)?

It used to work under VMPlayer, but not VirtualBox. Now it seems to be dead on all types of VM.

Paul

Hitesh

Re: VMware Player & Workstation problems

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Paul,

Some Customers have been experiencing issues with the latest stable (6.7.21.2) and release candidate (6.7.27.5) versions:

http://www.picotech.com/support/topic12185.html

This might explain why you are having an issue using these applications. It is being investigated by our Development Team.

Regards,

PRJeanneret

Post by PRJeanneret »

I've tried using the current release 6.7.25.5 and the 6.7.28.7 and neither work. You get the 'scope working for a few seconds, but by the time you've configured PicoScope to the settings needed for the job it hangs up. If you do manage to get the 'scope set up in time and try to save an image then it'll definitely hang up. I'm not completely convinced that my issues are VM related, but I've no non-VM machines to test against. If the PicoScope software fails this badly under "normal" Windows operation then you've very serious issues if you can't resolve the problems.

These issues have been around for a long time now, and there seems to be little or no progress. I've also raised issues with the Linux drivers for PicoScope and similarly there seems to be no progress. Issues with VMs were raised over a year ago, as were Linux driver issues.

When I bought my PicoScope my view was the a company which was based in the UK and supported Linux meant that I was onto a good thing. I was wrong, I'm now looking to change to Agilent and National Instruments, as although the base equipment is more expensive, it'll work.

Sorry that my posting has become a bit of a rant, but since I purchased my PicoScope it's hardly been used, and is quite an expensive blue bookend.

Paul Jeanneret

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Paul,

Our Development Team are currently in the process of investigating running PicoScope 6 on Linux platforms. We are also looking to automate the process of building Linux drivers alongside the Windows ones.

Thanks,

PRJeanneret

Post by PRJeanneret »

Is anyone also looking into the issue that PicoScope doesn't work under virtual machines (VirtualBox & VMWare Player/Workstation)?

Paul

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Can you let us know the host O/S versions you are using, the VMWare/VirtualBox Versions, and the Windows guest O/S ? and if these are all kept up to date ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

PRJeanneret

Post by PRJeanneret »

Hi Martyn,

The host OS is Linux/Kubuntu 13.04 (x64) and is kept up to date.

Virtual Box is at 4.2.16 and is the 64bit version, VMWorkstation is 9.0.2

The VM is Windows 7 SP1 (32bit) and is also fully patched. It's a minimal setup with just the picoscope software and the Qt/mingw suite installed.

Paul

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Our current priority is to update the Linux driver build process and, once complete, move on to producing a version of Picoscope that will run directly on Linux.

So unfortunately we do not have the resources to look at issues with running Picoscope on virtual machines.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager