3000 series scope with automotive current clamp

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
fizzler34

3000 series scope with automotive current clamp

Post by fizzler34 »

I have 3404B scope, work mainly with PICs and electronics but would like to get a 60Amp current clamp to test
fuel injector current/behavior in a BMW 5 series. Given the fact this is an 8 bit scope do you think i could run into
problems with veritical resolution ? Would enhanced vertical resolution resolve this issue with this type of waveform.
Ideally need to be able to see opening and closing of pintle in waveform.

PicoMike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3000 series scope with automotive current clamp

Post by PicoMike »

Hi - I know this is not directly the answer you were after, but if you are planning on using the automotive software please note the 3404B is not a supported device for PicoScope 6 Automotive.

Regards,

Mike
Mike
Pico Technology

fizzler34

Post by fizzler34 »

hi Mike,
i had not planned to use the automotive s/w. I was hoping to use Piscoscope 6. Just need to know what
type of issues could run into with resolution and if enhanced vertical resolution could help.
Thanks
Fintan

PicoMike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by PicoMike »

Hi,

I have looked into this for you.

Hardware 12 bits (vertical resolution of 4096 steps) will be able to see alot more detail than the 8 bit scope (vertical resolution of 256 steps). Adding the software enhance will not increase the number of steps the scope can capture, its more of a filter.

However with an injector waveform I believe it should be OK to give you an idea as to whether the injector is behaving :)
Resolution enhancement

Resolution enhancement is a technique for increasing the effective vertical resolution of the scope at the expense of high-frequency detail. Selecting resolution enhancement does not change the scope’s sampling rate or the amount of data available.
Mike
Pico Technology

fizzler34

Post by fizzler34 »

Thanks Mike