TC08 monitoring on laptop

Forum for discussing PicoLog
Geoff

TC08 monitoring on laptop

Post by Geoff »

I have a customer with a TC08, when they use it on the desktop PC it logs and updates ok If they warm up channel 1 , channel 1 warms up as it should, When using the laptop if they warm up channel 1 all the channels seem to be affected and change, The installation is the same.
Any suggestions please.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that your customer is experiencing problems.

The problem is most likely being caused due to the Laptop using a switch power supply, along with no earth cable in the mains lead. There are two possible solutions:

1. Try to run the laptop of batteries, however, some laptops seem to reduce the amount of voltage levels to the serial port thus stopping the TC-08 working.

2. Use the laptop form the mains, but connect a cable from the 9D connector to a known and tested grounding point, this grounding point should be checked with an earth tester.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

TC08

Post by Guest »

That was it, Thanks

Dan Acres

TC-08

Post by Dan Acres »

We are experiencing a similar problem, and putting the laptop on batteries seems to work. Unfortunately, the batteries will not last long enough to carry out our tests.

We are using a Rs-232 USB to serial adaptor, as the laptop has no serial port. Will connecting pin 9 on the serial end of the cable accomplish the same as your suggestion above?

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your TC-08. To solve this you can do the same, attach a cable onto the D9 connector of the TC-08, and then run it to a known and tested grounding point.

You only need attach the cable, you co not need to connect a serial onto the end of the USB to serial port adapter, unless this will assist you in connecting the cable.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Dan Acres

Post by Dan Acres »

Connecting D9 to earth has solved the problem, many thanks.

sabrina
User
User

ok but how to connect the tc08 to a ground point?

Post by sabrina »

I have a texas instruments extensa 670 cdt and a tc08 datalogger, how to connect the tc08 to a ground point?
Thanks a lot for your answer

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

To connect the TC-08 to a known and tested earth you will need a earth tester to check the mains earth is good.

Connect a piece of cable to the outer shell of the 9 D connecter, this can be done on the screw terminal part. Then connect the other end to your known and tested ground point.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer