Fatal Error 251 on opening PLW File

Having problems ? let us know the details here
ricksum

Fatal Error 251 on opening PLW File

Post by ricksum »

HI All,

We are starting some new R&D, so I have dug out a USB Pico TC-08 from the back of our R&D Cupboard, and installed the latest download of Picolog Recorder / Player (Rel Date Dec 7 2012 according to the help screen).

I have installed the software on my Toshiba Porttege laptop (running Windows 7 Professional, SP1)

I was very happy to get the recorder working last night, and was successfully recording six channels, reviewing graphs, and able to cut and paste data from the spreadsheet view.

When I tried to open the generated PLW file later, I get an error - 'Fatal Error 251. Program will be terminated' I have attached a sample file.

From the help, my understanding is that the PLW File has a header, data, and a footer detailing the recording setup. as far as I can tell, it is the data that has gone wrong.

Is this caused by trying to run the software on a 64 bit machine? is there anything I can do to avoid it?

many thanks for any help in advance.

regards

Richard
Attachments
test2.plw
(26.18 KiB) Downloaded 550 times

Hitesh

Re: Fatal Error 251 on opening PLW File

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Richard,

You can resolve this by turning off User Account Control (there is an issue accessing the PLAYER.PLS file which you can try moving into the same folder as your recording file).

Alternatively, you can right-click on the file and select 'Open With...' - navigate to the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Pico Technology\Pico Full' directory and associate it with the plw32.exe file.

You may need to reload the file twice in PicoLog Player if you choose the latter option.

I hope this helps.

ricksum

Post by ricksum »

Hitesh,

problem solved :D , many thanks for your help.

regards

Richard

dbertenshaw

Post by dbertenshaw »

Disabling UAC globally is a serious security issue. Many corporates will anyway debar this.
I got round the issue in Picolog version 5.22.9 and Windows7proX64 by setting the Player to run as "Administrator" in properties.

However I hope Picotech will solve this asap, it should not be neccessary to defeat normal Windows security to run standard applications!

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi,

This is a bug relating to permissions and the software trying to create a file in the working directory in Windows 7 and 8.

A fix has been made to PicoLog and a new build should be available soon.

Regards,

dbertenshaw

Post by dbertenshaw »

Hi Hitesh
another thought in case it is in time.
can you make the Player a seperate .exe, so that it can then be associated with the *.PLW files generated.
It is not possible to set a file association to them normally, since it needs the -p switch which Windows does not support (as far as I can tell).
Yes, I know one can instead start the Player then open the file, but when everything else can be double clicked on...?

many thanks
David

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi David,

The PicoLog software is in Maintenance Phase and so any changes like this would not be implemented as a change in operational function could affect many Users out there.

You can associate your logger files with the plw32.exe executable in the installation directory and this will then load the file into PicoLog Recorder.

Best wishes,