Picolog append new readings to the previous PLW file

Forum for discussing PicoLog
peterhr
User
User

Picolog append new readings to the previous PLW file

Post by peterhr »

We use PicoLog + RH02 (sampling once a minute) to monitor temperature + humidity in a small computer room, and want a continuous graph showing what has happened over a few months at a time.

Unfortunatly the machine running PicoLog seems to get rebooted quite often. this means we end up with many small PLW files when we could really do with a single big one.

Is there any way that picolog on startup can continue to record new readings into the PLW file it was using last time?

Or failing that - is there a utility that wil take the data from a number of PLW files (written with the same settings) and write that data to a consolidated file ... to produce a single maga.plw file that we can view in the player.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem. Unfortunately, it is nort possible to de as you have requested. When the same file is used any previous values are over written.

However, I would recommend that you consider the Enviromon system EL005 and EL026. This system is designed to run standalone. The results are only downloaded when you connect the logger to your PC and the software is started. The user has a seemless spreadsheet with all the result displayed. If you would like further information about this system please look at our website or post your questions here.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

RichB

appending plw files into one mega file

Post by RichB »

Have you tried opening the spreadsheet view and then saving to a text or prn file? repeat for all your plw files. you can then open each file in excel and copy into one big excel file. a little time consuming but effective.

peterhr
User
User

Post by peterhr »

:(

I'm sure I've seen the pico file format documented somewhere.

If I get time I'll knock something up in the old basic that was shipped with NT4 (or VB script) to stick the files together into something that'll do the job.

I'll probably be reinventing the wheel though.