ADC 11 and Labview 7.1 on XP

Post your LabVIEW discussions here
Ken Howell

ADC 11 and Labview 7.1 on XP

Post by Ken Howell »

Help please,

This is a repeat request; I posted the problem through this forum a week or two ago, and directly to Picotechnolgy a few days ago via email, but no solution has been supplied.

We are trying to use the ADC11 units under Labview with the drivers provided by Picotechnology. We use a great number of these units in this university research lab and have generally been pleased with them in the past. They have worked fine with Picolog software, and in the past with Labview. However, we are now all geared up with windows XP (Service pack 2) and are converting fully to Labview throughout.

We now have a crisis; we just cannot get ANY of our ADC11s to work on ANY of our PCs despite having download the fresh software and Labview drivers repeatedly. The Labview error message "Call labrary function node: function not found in library" is displayed. We have confirmed that the DLL has been placed in the system32 directory. What else should we do?

PLEASE, as all our research projects now depend upon a solution to this problem, what do what is the solution? Do we have to revert back to an older version of Windows? Surely not!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ken

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Ken

I'm sorry to hear that you have been having this problem.

Is it just in Labview that you are seeing this error?
Can you get the units to work with Picolog?
How old is your ADC-11?
Is it an ADC-11/10 or and ADC-11/12?
Are these different computers or the same ones with upgraded operating systems?

If the units will not work at all with any software then I suggest trying all the available LPT numbers. This is because XP virtualises the parallel port and it may be going by a different number. Try LPT1, LPT2, and LPT3.

If this doesn't work then check the settings of the parallel port in the BIOS. It should be set to one of the following modes:

SPP, Normal, Unidirectional, Output Only.

It should not be set to ECP, EPP or Bidirectional.

If none of this works then please let us know.

Best Regards

olle
User
User

Post by olle »

I've experinced the same problem. I think that I know the solution to your present problem.

The funktion names in the released dll is different compared to the beta version. When you install the beta version you have to change the funktion name in the call library funktion node, or use the relesed version. You do this by rightclic on it and chose preferences and then use browse to get the right placement and name . Read the labview manual using external Code in LabWIEW. When you got this right you can try Saras suggestion to get it working

When it works. Tell me what more that have to be done to make it work in xp and LabVIEW 7.

Best Regards Olle

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I would recommend that you download Picoscope Beta version and install this on your PC, once you have done this copy the adc1132.dll from the Picoscope directory to the location being used by your application. Reboot your PC and then:

1: Try the ADC-11 with picoscope.

2: Try the ADC-11 with your application.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

olle
User
User

You are giving me help that I already tried

Post by olle »

I've already tried the beta version!

After updating XP, my situation has improved a little. Now the Labview acces routine works.

olle
User
User

adc11_open_unit does not work

Post by olle »

adc11_open_unit does not work. The port adress is right because the labview access routine works.

olle
User
User

Is there a description of the funktions in the beta version

Post by olle »

Is there a description of the funktions in the dll beta version. When I access the driver in the Labview call library function there are functions that are not described in the manual. For example adc11_max_value. What is the difference between get_times_and values and the new funktion get_values_and time.

Best Regards

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing problems, unfortunately I do not know what you mean by labview assess routines work. Please could you explain stating the functions being used and what it does.

Have you tested the ADC-11 with Picoscope does it work in this application. If not check the following:

Parallel port mode settings through the BIOS: Normal, Unidirectional, Output Only, SPP.

Not: ECP, EPP, or Bidirectional.

Check the IO is 0378 - 037F, this is the recommended IO address.

Make sure no other program is trying to control the parallel port.

The other routines listed are for internal use and not defined for customer use.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

The Labview access routine

Post by Guest »

I'.m sorry that I spelled access assess : The name special access routine comes from the adc11 manual under the heading Labview. In the dll the function is called adc11_labview_single. This function works now and so do the picoscope, but my problem was that adc11_open unit returns 0 and hence adc11_get_unit_info tells me that port is not open.

Best reagards

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I have been speaking to the development team and looking at the adc11_labview_single. This routine uses the same adc11_open_unit function that you are trying in your own application. If you tell me the values being passed I will try to assist you further.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

Now it works

Post by Guest »

Your information request made me check the VI once again. I found that I had wired type and port in the wrong order to the call external function symbol. Now I can start learn about the other functions.

Edward-Huang

ADC216 and LabView7.x

Post by Edward-Huang »

Help,please!!

I try to use the ADC216 under Labview7.x with the drivers provided by Picotechnology. How can I connect the Labview7.x and ADC216? Can the LabView Drivers for ADC216 make a use of LabView7.x ? I don't know some of the instructions that is for "adc200.vi".Can you tell me what the instructions mean? Thanks!(Sorry, my English is not good!! )

1.''opened''
2.''oversample''
3.''ns per sample''
4.''timebase''
5.''no of values''

Best Regards

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi

Thank you for your post.

You should be able to find full details on all of these terms in the documentation that we supply. Please be aware that these programming examples are an advanced user feature and thus some background knowledge and study is required.

Best Regards