Finding the Serial number of a 3204B / .dll use

Post your LabVIEW discussions here
MarkPotter
User
User

Finding the Serial number of a 3204B / .dll use

Post by MarkPotter »

Hi;- I have been developing Labview applications incorporating Picoscopes for a while now. One thing I need to do is read in the unique serial number of the picoscope plugged into the machine. In the previous generation of picoscope oscilloscopes there were examples of this in Labview (the PS3000.dll set of commands). Now for the current generation, using the PS3000a.dll set of commands, I can't find a Labview example of the call to the GetUnitInfo function, which for the older cards returned the serial number of the card.

I then tried to access the functions without examples, but this comes down to how to make calls to the DLLs I think. Labview can see the ps3000a.DLL and give me a list of functions available, but cannot "see" the correct parameters to pass to and get from these functions. I tried using the same parameters as for the old drivers but this gets an error code 1097 (it did not bode well that even the card handle is in a different format in the new version - I fixed that but obviously the remaining parameters are also different).

In summary, can anyone point me towards:
- Examples of finding the serial number of 3000 series picoscopes in labview,
or
- Where I can find out the correct parameters to pass to (and get from) the functions in ps3000a.dll so I can use the ones that there are not examples for?

Thanks,

Mark.

Found the information, on principle, in the Programming Guide, but still can't get it to work. An example would be better if any exist...

Hitesh

Re: Finding the Serial number of a 3204B / .dll use

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Mark,

Please try incorporating the sub-vi file below in your LabVIEW vi.

It should also be available in future releases of the SDK.

Best wishes,
Attachments
PicoScope3000aUnitInfo.vi
PS3000aGetUnitInfo vi file
(40.65 KiB) Downloaded 585 times

MarkPotter
User
User

Re: Finding the Serial number of a 3204B / .dll use

Post by MarkPotter »

Thanks for that! Seems to be working now - although I eventually figured out the format for the parameters (with some help from a friend who programs in Matlab, which can tell what the parameters are), I was wiring the wrong values to it I think.

Mark.