About bufferMax and bufferMin in SetDataBuffers??????

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
pxfslcf

About bufferMax and bufferMin in SetDataBuffers??????

Post by pxfslcf »

For example, I use ps6000 In block mode, the number of samples required is 1024, I call the function ps6000SetDataBuffers, ps6000GetValues and so on, at last, i get the values, bufferMax's size is 1024(short), bufferMin's size is 1024(short), but I don't understand, the max values and the min values in the number of samples Should be the onlyone, why they have 1024???? :shock: :shock:

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: About bufferMax and bufferMin in SetDataBuffers??????

Post by Martyn »

The min and max buffers are related to downsampling where the scope captures at a higher speed and downsamples to the required number of values you request

Code: Select all

Various methods of data reduction, or downsampling, are possible with the
PicoScope 6000 Series oscilloscopes. The downsampling is done at high speed by
dedicated hardware inside the scope, making your application faster and more
responsive than if you had to do all the data processing in software.

You specify the downsampling mode when you call one of the data collection functions
such as ps6000GetValues. The following modes are available:

PS6000_RATIO_MODE_AGGREGATE
Reduces every block of n values to just two values: a minimum and a maximum. The minimum and maximum values are returned in two separate buffers.

PS6000_RATIO_MODE_AVERAGE
Reduces every block of n values to a single value representing the average (arithmetic mean) of all the values.

PS6000_RATIO_MODE_DECIMATE
Reduces every block of n values to just the first value in the block, discarding all the other values.

PS6000_RATIO_MODE_DISTRIBUTION
Reduces every block of n values to a histogram. Since the values are 8-bit numbers, there are 28 = 256 bins in each histogram. A histogram is treated as one "sample" by the data collection function, so the noOfSamples argument specifies the number of 256-bin histograms that will be written to the data buffer.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager