CM3 Logger slow response

Post any questions you may have about our current range of USB data loggers
simonwait

CM3 Logger slow response

Post by simonwait »

Hi, I have just bought a CM3 with the intention of recording a 3 phase system. With help from Martyn at Pico I have managed to write a code in VB which monitors and logs the data whilst injecting data from another part of the system with descriptions of what is happening at the time.

At present the system seems to idle at around 7A per phase but the system has loads of large inverters in it so as a test we pulled the power and then reapplied about a minute later to see the effects of the inrush current.

What I have found is that the data seems to suggest that when power is removed, rather than the measurement immediately dropping to 0V it steps down over around 40 seconds to about 0.5A. When power is restored we go back to 7A over about 10 seconds with no massive inrush.

This doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't the reading immediately drop and then on powering up immediately go over 7A before settling. I have checked the sample rate seems to be 1ms

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CM3 Logger slow response

Post by Martyn »

7A is your idle current, but what level would you be expecting to measure up to, and what current clamps are you using?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

simonwait

Post by simonwait »

On this occasion maybe under 80A but potentially up to 125A. I am using the supplied TA138

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The response time is asymptotic towards zero and if you are only measuring a few amps of current then you are only using a fraction of the full scale deflection of the CM3. From 80A, or higher, towards zero and back up will show a much more rapid response.
Martyn

simonwait

Post by simonwait »

Short of sticking a phantom load and then subtracting this is there any other solution?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

As the input signal level is reduced the averaging time constant increases to maintain the accuracy of the measurements. It is the way the unit has been designed to operate.
Martyn

simonwait

Post by simonwait »

So if there was say a 2m/s spike from 7A to 80A would that be seen? Do you have any product which would work in this instance even if not networkable?

simonwait

Post by simonwait »

Sorry I think I put 1m/s but 720m/s is the shortest cycle time isnt it?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Yes, the conversion time per channel is 720 msecs, and for that reason the CM3 is not designed for looking at spikes. If spikes are of interest then you would need to use the current clamps with one of our oscilloscopes.
Martyn