Error-PicoScope could not open ADC-216

Having problems ? let us know the details here
leehudson

Error-PicoScope could not open ADC-216

Post by leehudson »

I am trying to hook my ADC-216 up to a new laptop running on WindowsXP Home via LPT1 port. I downloaded the latest version of PicoScope and I get the following error message when I try to launch PicoScope with the hardware attached.

"PicoScope could not open the following product(ADC-216)."

Moreover, when I go to Help > About it says the following:

"Release 5.11.0 - 32 bit
ADC200 Driver V3.03
Error 13 [H255 S0]
pico.sys V85.170"

I tried uninstalling PicoScope a couple of time with and without the hardware connected and I keep getting the same error message.

Could you please tell me how to get my ADC-216 working on this computer?

Thanks,
Lee

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems.

In Windows XP the ports are virtualized and thus can be read as LPT1, LPT2 or LPT3 by software, I would therfore advise that you try all these options.

The Parallel port mode should be set to one of the following:

Normal, SPP, Output Only, Unidirectional.
If none of these are available the contact you PC or Motherboards manufacturer to find out which option is available for output only.

Do not use ECP, EPP or Bidirectional

When you have installed the Software the PC has to be rebooted so that the system files can be loaded into the registry.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

leehudson

Post by leehudson »

Hi Mark,
I went into the bios and the only options I have are:

Uni-Directional
Bi-Directional
EPP
EPP/ECP
Disable

I changed it to Uni-Directional as you suggested, rebooted the computer, and I get exactly the same error message. I even tried re-installing PicoScope, rebooting and still the same error. What else can I try? I really need to get this ADC-216 operating. This problem is holding up the entire project.

Regards,
Lee Hudson

leehudson

Post by leehudson »

Hi Mark,
I have more information about the problem. I hooked my ADC-216 up to another computer rinning on Windows2000 (Printer mode = EPP+ECP) and it works perfectly. Therefore, I know the hardware is good. The problem must be with the WindowsXP Home operating system and/or the PicoScope software. I need to get this working on my laptop computer widh runs on WindowsXP Home edition. Do you have any other ideas?
Regards,
Lee

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing this problem.

The ADC-216 unit requires all pins to be used, thus if your parallel port is faulty on one pin this can stop the unit working correctly. Possible solution for you would be to use the USB to Parallel port adapter.

You could also check that the following system file has been started.

Start | Accessories | System Tools | System Information | Software | System Drivers.

In the first column look for adc200, and under

Start mode: Auto
Started: Yes
State: Running

If you had any virus checker on the PC that was active while loading the software on disable the virus checker and try again. If you have an other software that is trying to use the LPT ports disable this as well. If a printer is installed delete the printer.

The units will work on the modes that I did not recommend, but more times that not will not work correctly.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

leehudson

Post by leehudson »

I have tried EVERYTHING you guys said to do and I CANNOT get this ADC-216 to work with WindowsXP. I have read dozens of posts about the problem and I'm wondering if ANYONE has gotten it to work? I refuse to pay $100 for the USB to Parallel converter to fix a problem that you guys should have solved by now. I also refuse to buy anymore of your products until you figure out how I can get this one to work.
Regards,
Lee Hudson

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Lee

We have answered the questions that you ask in a reply to the email you also sent us.

Best Regards

Autonerdz
Advanced User
Advanced User

XP parallel com

Post by Autonerdz »

Hi Lee,

I'm sorry you are frustrated. I can tell you that, in my experience, not being able to establish parallel communication is the exception, not the rule. I personally use XP Pro and, as a distributor for Pico's automotive line, I have customers on five continents. Only three times have we had to go USB because of a communication issue.

I have no idea why certain PCs just can't communicate with Pico over the parallel port, but it has to do with certain individual PCs, not the operating system. If it was an OS issue, it would be common to all computers using a certain OS and it is not. The problem is machine specific.

I am not a software engineer, I am a Master Journeyman auto tech and trainer. I sure don't envy the job the Pico team has with all the different PCs and operating system issues. I do know that some PC manufacturers tweak the OS shipped with their units to conform to their configurations. This creates unique behavior qualities that another user of the same OS will not experience. I suspect the issue may be related to this.

I do understand your frustration. Don't give up man. The PicoScope is awesome. You can't get anything better. If it is just the USB adapter standing in your way, get it. You can't come close to the power of PicoScope at twice the price anyway, so the cost of the USB is really not relevant. You'll still be way ahead on power and price.
Tom Roberts
(The Picotologist)
http://www.autonerdz.com
THE PicoScope Automotive Authority
In North America

Post by Guest »

Hi Tom,
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yes, I was frustrated. I have a new HP laptop that operates on WindowXP Home edition and when you wrote:

"I do know that some PC manufacturers tweak the OS shipped with their units to conform to their configurations."

This could very well be the problem. I tried to get it to work with another decktop computer running on WindowsXP Home Edition without luck. However, that was also an HP computer so perhaps that *is* the problem. In any case, I'm purchasing the adaptor. I agree it's a great little O'scope and I hope to be up and running soon.

Regards,
Lee