Pre-Sales Advice

Which product is right for your exact requirements

Pre-Sales Advice

Post by Guest »

Hello,
I've been building SS home audio power amplifiers (various kits) for about 3 years. Recently I decided to invest in a scope. For about a month now I've researched this purchase. Pico appears to offer tremendous value for the money. My only question is how difficult is this software to learn in comparison to a standard bench top scope?

Thanks,
Brad

Carl Grotti
Active User
Active User

Post by Carl Grotti »

Hi Brad,

I think you'll find it very easy to navigate through. The controls are well laid out for easy access to make changes. The learning curve is steeper for the less computer savy type person. If you have some basic windows skills, you'll sail right through it without a hitch. If you don't, it takes a little time to learn it. It's worth it, trust me.

Regards,

kizkid
User
User

Audio Pre Amp Tests/ADC-216

Post by kizkid »

Being new to all of this, what relevant preamp tests could I perform? The amplifier and CD player testing infomation given on you site was very helpful. It would be interesting to set the bias at various levels (power amp) using the scope function then track the resulting changes using the spectrum analyzer. Could these tests be saved for later comparison? This would be very helpful to me. An additional program was mentioned for audio equipment testing. Could you provide further detail as to it's contents?

Many thanks to Carl for his reply to my initial "guest" question. I would have replied much sooner but I've been working 60+ hours a week. There just hasn't been much time for anything else.

Best regards,
Brad

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Brad

The pages on the Pico website do cover some basic audio tests that can be made relatively simply. These can be found at: http://www.picotech.com/applications/spectrum.html.

It is entirely possible to use the scope view while adjusting bias levels to minimise crossover and then to use the spectrum analyser to determine the level of THD. After each adjustment, the scope and spectrum traces can be saved if required for later comparison.

The additional program that you mention was used to measure some common parameters obtained from the spectrum analyser. This program is no longer supplied as the measurements the program provided have been incorporated into PicoScope along with a host of other useful measurements.

Best Regards
Sarah

kizkid
User
User

Post by kizkid »

Hello Sarah,

I appreciate your prompt reply. The "Independent Review" answered my remaining questions. Somehow I missed Mr. Hansen's review.

Thank you again.
Brad

kizkid
User
User

ADC-216 User's Manual

Post by kizkid »

Hi Sarah,

One final question: Is it possible to obtain a users manual for your 216? If not, could you send me a few pages? I'm trying to see if it's written in the context of just anybody wanting to learn how to use a scope or to the person that already knows how to use one. I'd hate to spend $1000 USD and not be able to comfortably use it on my own.

Regards,
Brad

swink

question before I can buy

Post by swink »

I need to find freqs between 11700khz to 12200 khz.
this is considered the ku band that is sent from satellite to recievers.

would the pico have theablity to see these signals?

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Brad.

The user manuals for all of our products are available on the website for free. The link to the index of this is:

http://www.picotech.com/document/document.html

Best Regards

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hi Swink

To measure frequencies of around 12MHz that you mention, I would recommend the ADC-212/100. This unit has a spectrum bandwidth of 50MHz on one channel, and if both channels are active, a bandwidth of 25MHz.

You would need to source you own sensor equipment to receive the signal, and this would need to have a BNC connector on it's output.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

kizkid
User
User

Post by kizkid »

Hi Sarah,

Thanks!

Brad