Is there such a thing as Scroll Mode (or Roll mode)

Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
MikeSD

Is there such a thing as Scroll Mode (or Roll mode)

Post by MikeSD »

Does the pico software have any mode like Scroll mode or Roll mode? I'm not talking about zooming, where you capture over a long period of time and then zoom in, and then can scroll through the signal. I mean the mode that a lot of scopes have where the scope runs continuously, with the trace coming in from the right and continues indefinitely, similar to a chart recorder.

Is that possible with the PS2206 or other picoscopes, and the pico software?

Is there any other 3rd party software that allows this?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is there such a thing as Scroll Mode (or Roll mode)

Post by Martyn »

If you ensure that the scope software is running in streaming mode, with a timebase of 100ms/div or slower as set in Tools->Preferences->Sampling->CollectionTime, then set a single or repeat trigger with a threshold outside of your signal range, and a pre-trigger delay of 95%, and you should find that the display scrolls continuously.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

MikeSD

Post by MikeSD »

hmmm... I don't see any streaming mode, in the menus. I've only been using this sw for less than a day. My actual scope should arrive today.

The other thing is that this sounds like a way to simulate having this mode, rather than actually having this mode. The mode I'm looking for would/should allow for having the appropriate sampling rate and sweep rate, for the signal being measured. The display should update from right to left. I use this mode for looking at power usage over time. It's kind of like a strip chart recorder. The display would update from the right and the old data would move off the screen to the left. This is a very useful mode. The way scopes typically work are left to right and refresh left to right. Many higher end scopes have this roll/scroll mode. I was just hoping that the software would allow that as well.

How does one set the "streaming" mode on this sw?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The switch to streaming mode occurs automatically using the setting you put in Tools->Preferences->Sampling->CollectionTime

I am sure you will find this does exactly what you are describing, new data at the right, old data scrolling off the left.
Martyn

Osvaldo

Post by Osvaldo »

Good morning,
I have a 2205A sftw oscilloscope. 6.12.9.2917 Sn. CU636 / 289 H.v. 17 D.v. 2.3.0.6. but in the Sampling option, CollectionTime does not exist. How do I get the strip chart function? Thanks
Attachments
Immagine 2.jpg

DrJohn

Post by DrJohn »

I am trying to do the same thing!
But Picoscope 7 does not have a "Tools" selection.
I want it to roll from left to right at 1 second per division (cm).

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

The slow sampling transition has been renamed progressive mode and can be found here
SlowSamplingTransition.png
Then all you need to do is add a trigger at top right or bottom right.
Martyn