Properly install drivers and files for using the ADC-212/3

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
ntalbott
User
User

Properly install drivers and files for using the ADC-212/3

Post by ntalbott »

I'm working on the installer for an application that uses the ADC-212/3, and I want to make sure I install the necessary 'stuff' correctly regardless of the platform (95/98/NT/2000/XP) and without requiring the user to have already installed the Pico software. I'm looking for one of two things:
  • A pointer to a pre-existing installer that I can run in some sort of 'silent mode' or
  • A set of steps for installing things manually on the various platforms.
Of course, you could always provide me with a swift kick in the pants accompanied by a pointer to the appropriate documentation. :oops:

Thanks!

Nathaniel

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

To have your application run without installing Picolog or PicoScope you will need to intall the system driver, unit driver, and if using the USB to Parallel port adapter these system files as well.

Files:

Windows XP, 2000, NT

c:\windows\system32\drivers\adc200.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\pico.sys

Check that the program regdrive.exe exists in the Pico directory, and execute regdrive pico or regdrive adc200.

Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME

c:\windows\system\drivers\pico.vxd

Edit system.ini

Check that the [386Enh] section contains an entry

device=pico.vxd

Restart the PC.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

ntalbott
User
User

Post by ntalbott »

markspencer wrote:To have your application run without installing Picolog or PicoScope you will need to intall the system driver, unit driver,
What do you mean by the system driver and unit driver?

markspencer wrote:and if using the USB to Parallel port adapter these system files as well.

Files:

Windows XP, 2000, NT

Check that the program regdrive.exe exists in the Pico directory, and execute regdrive pico or regdrive adc200.

Windows 95, 98, 98SE and ME

Edit system.ini

Check that the [386Enh] section contains an entry

device=pico.vxd

Restart the PC.
So these files/steps are only necessary if the USB/Parallel adapter is used? If I do this but the adapter is not used, will it cause any problems?

Thanks,

Nathaniel

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your comments and enquiry, I believe that my first post with regards this was not really clear.

When using any of our products, if you are intending using the ADC-200 series, ADC-212 series or ADC-216, on an XP, NT or 2000 operating system then you will have to use the following:

If you are using any other product on the above operating systems then you will need this system file installed.

To make these system files become active you will need to run the following executable: regdrive.exe. This is provided with the driver, Picolog and Picoscope installations.

If you are using 95, 98, 98SE or ME then you will require the following system file:

So that this system file will be registered under these operating systems you will need to place the following text into the system.ini file

In the [386Enh] section

device=pico.vxd

To get the above to be (XP, NT, 2000, 95, 98, 98SE, ME) loaded into the PC's system registry you will need to reboot the PC.

The drivers for the units are all in the following format:

unit name/unit family 32.dll

eg: for the ADC-212, the family name is ADC200 and thus the driver is called adc20032.dll. For the ADC-11 then family name is adc11 and the driver name is adc1132.dll.

If you are using the USB to Parallel port adapter then two further system files are required, picopp.sys and picopp.inf. The USB to Parallel port abapter is only supported for operating system 98SE and above.

I hope this clear up any confusion that may have been caused by me first post.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

ntalbott
User
User

Post by ntalbott »

markspencer wrote:I hope this clear up any confusion that may have been caused by me first post.
It helps a lot, Mark, thanks.

A few more questions this brings up for me:
  • I'm assuming that on NT, 2000 & XP the files go in to c:\winnt\system32\drivers?
  • Is there anything special I need to do to uninstall these files?
  • Does regdrive.exe also install the parallel port driver (picopp.sys)?
  • Where does the file picopp.inf go? Do I need to do anything special with it besides copying it to the right place?
  • Is there any problem with installing the parallel port driver (on 98 & up) when it will not be used?
Thanks again for your help!

Nathaniel

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Than kyou for your questions.

The files do go into the path that is stated for NT, for XP and 2000 they go in:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\

There is nothing special that needs to be done to uninstall the files.

regdrive.exe is only used to install Pico.sys and adc200.sys

The picopp.inf file goes in c:\windows\inf, this is only used for the USB to Parallel port adapter, and you do not need to do anything with this file. This can be installed even if it is not going to be used.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

ntalbott
User
User

Post by ntalbott »

markspencer wrote:Thank you for your questions.
Thank you for your answers. :)
markspencer wrote:The files do go into the path that is stated for NT, for XP and 2000 they go in:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\
Well, thankfully the installer I'm using has a function that returns the windows directory on the machine, because at least on my Windows 2000 box, Windows is installed in 'WINNT', not 'Windows'.

Thanks for all your help, Mark! I think I know just about everything there is to know about installing the pico now. :D

Nathaniel

kauer

Conflicts between PicoScope and our software w/ USB-Parallel

Post by kauer »

Thanks for all your help, Mark! I think I know just about everything there is to know about installing the pico now.
Well, actually, almost everything :?

Nathaniel did a great job getting our software installed and playing nicely with PicoScope except...

Our customer has a laptop running Windows XP and has the serial-parallel bus adapter.

Unfortunately, when he runs our installer the PicoScope software hangs (he's downloaded the latest software) when trying to connect to the ADC. It gives no notification (like "Can't open ADC"), just hangs indefinitely.

If he reinstalls the PicoScope software and reboots, the PicoScope works but our software no longer does... we go through each port in a loop trying to find the ADC (and attempting to open it) and it can't find it.

If we reinstall our software (which includes all of the drivers as mentioned earlier), our system works, but the PicoScope hangs again.

NOTE: This does not happen on any other system we tried that does not use the USB-Parallel Port adapter. PicoScope and our software (A.C.E. Misfire Detective) cohabitate perfectly after installing our software on other environments.

Any clues as to what is unique about this setup that causes this to occur or what clue we missed?

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem. It is possible that the drivers being used by your application and those being used by PicoScope are different. Check the following file date and version number:

adc20032.dll
picopp.sys
picopp.inf
adc200.sys

I would recommend using the latest drivers that come with Picoscope R5.11.03. Once you have confirmed you are using the same driver sets and the problem if it still reoccurs please come back to us.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer