Post any questions you may have about our current range of oscilloscopes
Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Picoscope 3000 serie issue on VirtualBox

Post by Martyn »

Original post which was accidentally deleted
Hello,
I' been tring to set up Picoscope software on Virtual box for a couple day now and i just can't get it to work.
I followed this tutorial : http://www.instructables.com/id/Windows ... a-Mac-wit/

But the issue is always the same. The software seem to work, and the oscilloscope (in my case the 3424) is recognised. But if I plug the device while the application is running, Picoscope hangs and ejects the device. Or if the oscilloscope is already plug and i start the application, the application will freeze when it say "Discovering device…".

I say a post on the web, with a similar bug concerning the 2000 serie, and pico released a bug fix, i was wundering if you had a solution for the 3000 serie.

Thanks

My set up in a OSX 10.6.8 as Guest running Window 7-(64-bit) and Window XP SP3 (32-bit) (i tried both). And i tried with all these version of Picoscope: PicoFull_r5_16_2, PicoScope6 r6_6_16, r6_6_23, r6_7_2
Have you tried running with a 32bit guest O/S, you didn't say which the Xp was, in case this is causing the issue ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

Florian

Post by Florian »

Yes sorry for that, is the 32bit version of XP

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

This isn't something we have tried here so this is guesswork.

You need to make sure that the hardware has not been connected to the PC at any stage before installing the software, Windows will load a generic USB driver which will cause an issue. If it has then you need to plug it back in, do an uninstall device from Device Manager, unplug it, reboot the VM and then replug the device.
Martyn

Florian

Post by Florian »

Thank's for your anwser, unfortunatly I'm sure that the drivers are from the Picoscope and not window's default. I followed this toturial (http://www.instructables.com/id/Windows ... /?ALLSTEPS)

jkahrs

Post by jkahrs »

With my PS2205 I have similar problems from time to time. Check the configuration of the VM in VirtualBox. In the USB section, there is a flag that enables USB 2.0. This flag is available only since version 4 of VirtualBox. You have to activate it. The most recent version of VirtualBox (4.1.16) seems to have a bug, the bug inverts the USB 2.0 flag. So you have to de-activate the USB 2.0 flag in order to use a USB 2.0 device.

I am not quite sure if we are talking about the same problem. But the checks I suggested above are easy to do and if they really solve the problem then you have save much time.

Florian

Post by Florian »

Thank's a lot jkahrs!
That was definetly the problem on the XP machine, now it run's fine with the PicoScope 6.6.23.2. I also found out that from time to time, the Oscilloscope was not recognize and was saw as an "unknow usb device" and the Picoscope software will just automatically eject it.

On the Window 7 machine the probleme remains, i tried checking and un checking that USB 2 check box, but it doesn't change anything. Looks like there is a handshake probleme between the software and the device. Each time I try to plug the device when PicoScope is runnning, the software freezes. Any ideas?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

That is possibly down to 64bit, can you try Win7 32bit ?
Martyn