Installing multiple PicoLog devices?

Forum for discussing PicoLog
phi

Installing multiple PicoLog devices?

Post by phi »

I just bought a PicoScope 2205 and a TC-08 (USB), but I can't make them work at the same time i PicoLog.

I have tried it on two computers, one running XP and another running Win7.

I have just checked on the Win 7 and there I can't make the PicoScope install
properly just using the PicoLog Software. On the other hand, if I install the
PicoScope SW everthing looks good, but still doesn't work.

Questions:
--------------
1. Can you have PicoLog and PicoScope SW with drivers installed at the same time?
2. Is it the same USB-driver in PicoLog and PicoScope (should be or otherwise I can't see
how it could work?)
3. What does "install for other devices" in PicoLog mean? (I found one interpretation saying it
meant it would install all device drivers??? To me it sound as if there will be an alternate list of
devices comming up...))

When you install PicoLog, why can't you just have checkboxes for all the devices? Some space
for improvement?

Yes I am running in 'Realtime mode' and yes I have checked the 'Multiple converter' checkbox.

(( Per

phi

Re: Installing multiple PicoLog devices?

Post by phi »

I would like to add that:

If I have the Picoscope installed with the Picoscope SW (and driver) and install the Picoscope
in PicoLog, the Picoscope works fine in PicoLog. If I after that install the TC-08 in PicoLog the Picoscope
is not availabe as a choise in PicoLog any more. :?

(( Per

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Per,

Which versions of PicoScope 6 and PicoLog are you using?

You can have PicoScope and PicoLog installed at the same time.

The driver version will depend on the version of PicoLog/PicoScope installed as they have their own installation directories.

Install for other devices means that the dll files for all other supported devices for your OS are installed in addition to the one for the device that is selected. It sounds as though this is what you need to do - choose the TC-08 (USB) selection and then tick the box.

With regards to your additional post, if the PicoScope 2000 unit is being used by PicoScope then it cannot be used by PicoLog at the same time.

I hope this helps.

phi

Post by phi »

I'm using the SW supplied on the CD (PicoLog release 5.22.1) for the XP-computer and the latest and greates from the web for the Win7 computer.

I just got the XP-computer to work and did nothing different that I am aware of !? (Win7 still not working...)

Doesn't the USB driver have to be the same for PicoLog and PicoScope? Isn't the driver loaded when you connect the
device to the computer? I hope you understand where I'm heading?

Is "Install for other devices" documented in a clear way some where logic? Would really help if this was written in clear understandable text when running the installer?

As soon as you choose "File -> New Settings" the old settings are wiped out unless you have saved them. Shouldn't it be possible to enter this menu and if you press 'cancel' go back to what you had?

The maximum conversion speed with PicoLog in 'Real-time mode' seems to be 64Hz (with one or two devices), is it possible to improve on this?

You write the following on your site: http://www.picotech.com/multi-channel-daq.html
"...real–time continuous sampling, which provides averaged, time–accurate readings with automatic measurements at up to 1 kS/s on any number of channels." A bit further down on under specification "Real–time continuous: 1 kS/s or greater" Ok, it's for the PicoLog 1012 etc. but where can i find info about the limitations of PicoScope used with PicoLog?

If you put "Number of Samples" too high (1 miljon samples seems to be the maximum, why?) the SW is not working in a propper way anymore, i.e. you press play, nothing happens, press play again, the play-button greys out but nothing more happens. Have to restart the SW to make it work again. Why no limits on what to put in there?

The PicoLog just stops, not recording anymore at 99937, set to take 100 000 samples, had to press stop and save data.

"Save as type" always keeping the .PLW efter the filename...

I have now spent ours just to make it run in the first place and now I am spending hours and hours of time trying to understand the limitations of this software, system.

I want to run a 1 day test, 8 hours, using a TC-08(USB) and a PicoScope 2205. Samplerate 1S/s for the TC-08 and 1000S/s for the PicoScope. I would like the times for the temperature and the PicoScope to be fairy synced (hopefully in the same file with the same time stamp)
How do I do this? :?

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Per,

With the Windows 7 PC, are you getting any kind of error messages during the install process or in the event log when you are attempting to start the software?

This might be a User Authorisation Control issue with Windows 7. Please look for the trace.xml file which is located in the following location:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Pico Technology

You may need to enable hidden files and folders - the file will be located in a folder with a long alphanumeric name for the string.

Please send this file to support (at) picotech (dot) com

With regards to the driver, it is the same basic driver that gets installed, it's just that the dll files could be different depending on the build of the software.

In terms of installing for other devices, this just means that the dlls for the devices supported by PicoLog will copied to the computer. I've spoken to a colleague about this to see if it can be incorporated into documentation.

For the settings files, I would recommend saving them to files which you can archive - in the PLW Recorder window click File -> Save as..., and in the 'Save file as...' dialog, choose 'Settings files (*.pls)', type a file name and click 'Save'.

The oscilloscopes and PicoLog 1000 series should be capable of conversion times greater than what you are finding - this is due to the resolution of the devices.

Information on the limitations of a PicoScope used with PicoLog can be found in section 6 (Equipment Overview) of the PicoLog User Manual:

http://www.picotech.com/document/pdf/plw.en-4.pdf

There is a 1 million sample limit per channel for a data file. Please try installing PicoLog 5.22.6 on your PC with regards to the issue with the number of samples - if you put in a number that is greater than what is allowed, the software will adjust the number to the maximum allowed.

With regards to the '.PLW' being kept after the file name - are you referring to when creating a new data file? This would be due to how the data is logged to a file. You can save the data file to another type e.g. .csv afterwards.

Section 3.13 (Run multiple recorders) of the manual mentions about the limitations of using multiple converters - if you use the same instance of PicoLog recorder for both devices, then you will be limited by the conversion time of the TC-08 (approx. 100ms per channel). The alternative is to run a separate instance of PicoLog recorder for each device as described in the manual, but you would end up with different data files.

You could consider writing your own software application to capture data from both devices at the required intervals.

Hope this helps.

phi

Post by phi »

Thank you for a long answer, but sigh.... :(

1.) The scope won't connect using the exact same *.pls-file as last week, using scope2205 + TC-08. Disconnect TC-08, scope connects, disconnects scope, TC-08 connects...
Remade the *.pls file and it is back to normal.

2.) Tries to add the B-channel of the Scope, the 'relay' in the scope goes crazy, switching at a 5Hz rate? HELP !

For the settings files, I would recommend saving them to files which you can archive - in the PLW Recorder window click File -> Save as..., and in the 'Save file as...' dialog, choose 'Settings files (*.pls)', type a file name and click 'Save'.
I do save my settings to a *.pls file.
With regards to the '.PLW' being kept after the file name - are you referring to when creating a new data file? This would be due to how the data is logged to a file. You can save the data file to another type e.g. .csv afterwards.
The 'save as...' dialog defaults to filename.PLW, changing to *.pls does not remove the .PLW ending... just me being picky perhaps.

Section 3.13 (Run multiple recorders) of the manual mentions about the limitations of using multiple converters - if you use the same instance of PicoLog recorder for both devices, then you will be limited by the conversion time of the TC-08 (approx. 100ms per channel). The alternative is to run a separate instance of PicoLog recorder for each device as described in the manual, but you would end up with different data files.
Well, seems to run at 64Hz whatever the number of channels... looks that way anyhow.

You could consider writing your own software application to capture data from both devices at the required intervals.
I bought this equipment because I thought it should be quick and easy to use, it is not. But please try to convince me I am wrong as I have now put almost two days into this just trying to do some (as I see it) simple measurements. Trying to write my own logging SW will take a couple of more days I believe?

(( Per

phi

Post by phi »

A comment regarding my question about the switching relay...

I want to run a TC-08(USB) with a PicoScope 2205. My goal was to run the scope at 1kHz samplerate and the tempsensor at about 1s samplerate.

1.) If I want to use two devices I need to run in 'real-time continous mode'.
2.) If I want to use two channels on the scope I can NOT run in 'real-time continous mode' ?(http://www.picotech.com/support/post21415.html) Where is this documented?

Flexible?

(( Per

Hitesh

Post by Hitesh »

Hi Per,

Sorry you're still having trouble with this.

I tested a PicoScope 2205 and TC-08 on my PC last week and that appeared to be fine. I think it would be useful to know more about your setup i.e. version of Windows 7 and whether you have a desktop/laptop.

Please confirm the version number of PicoLog on the Windows 7 PC and the steps you have taken that result in the error with the save as... dialog as it seems fine for me in PicoLog Recorder.

Please send this information as well as the corresponding settings file by e-mail to support@picotech.com

With regards to the post about the switching relay, try increasing the scan time for each of the channels in the Edit Measurement dialog (this will have an impact on the frequency range that you can pick up) and choose a larger voltage range such as +/- 10V.

Regards,

phi

Post by phi »

I am running winXP (Win7 was just another test that failed).

PicoLog version is 5.22.6, have upgraded but no difference.
With regards to the post about the switching relay, try increasing the scan time for each of the channels in the Edit Measurement dialog (this will have an impact on the frequency range that you can pick up) and choose a larger voltage range such as +/- 10V.
The scan time is greyed out. If I go up to 1s sampling time and change the voltage range to +/-2 volts, the relay stops switching (and the scan time is not greyed out any more), though now I am far from being able to measure an even close to a correct current, but yes I have two channels...

I'll send the file... I guess I am violating your system with my very moderate demands.

(( Per