tc-08 logging all eight channels

Forum for discussing PicoLog
ramondaz
User
User

tc-08 logging all eight channels

Post by ramondaz »

:( Hello
I recently purchased two tc-08 dataloggers with the assumption I could record all eight channels at the same time but I can not seem to be able to do that. Am I doing something wrong or can you only record one channel at a time.

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

It is possible to record all the channels and have them active at the same time. When you say record the temperature at the samre time, do you mean take 8 temperatures at the exact same time (in one go), or do you want to have all 8 channels recording temperature, with the temperture cycling through each channel and recording one channel at a time.

The TC-08 is only capable of the latter option, it takes approximately 200 ms per active channel to get a temperature reading plus 200 ms for the cold junction compensation.

Each of the channels are set up in Picolog software:

File | New Settings

Select the number of channels, and the time interval, if the time interval is smaller than the conversion times then you will not always get new readings.

Select the TC-08 and the port it is connected to. Now add the channels using the ADD button.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again if I can assist you further.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer

ramondaz
User
User

multi-channel logging

Post by ramondaz »

Good morning Mark.
:) Thank you for your quick reply. I was sent Picolog
R 5.08.6 software when I purchased my dataloggers and I do not see where in File / New Settings there is an option for selecting the number of channels. I also do not see an ADD button anywhere.

Another request please! I need to deploy the loggers in the field so they collect data while not connected to the laptop. Is there some way I can use an external power source and log after setting up the channels and disconnecting the logger from the laptop?

Thank you in advance for your response

markspencer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by markspencer »

Hi,

Thank you for your post and sorry that my previous email did not detail all the stepd you go through to set up the unit.

File | New Settings - This opens a window with title 'Recording'

Press the OK button.

Nest another window opens up titled 'Samples', in this you state the number of samples you wich to collect and the time interval between each sample.

Make your changes and click OK.

This will then open up a further window 'Conveter Details' depending on the unit settings, (it can be skipped if the use unit selected during configuration is selected. This can be found in File | Preferences | Converter.)

If the 'Converter Details' box is displayed select the unit TC-08 and port number.

Click OK.

At this point Picolog will try to open the unit, if it is unsuccessful a message will be displayed. If it is successfull you will get a new window displayed 'TC-08 Channels' in this window yuo will see all the channels avaiable stating that they are not active.

eg. Channel 1 unused
Channel 2 unused
Channel 8 unused
Cold Junction unused

To activate the channel select it, and then click on edit.

A further window will now open and you need to give the channel a Name, state the Thermocouple type being used. This is then repeated for all the channels that need to used.

Best regards,
Regards,

Mark Spencer