PS3000a resolving error state

Post general discussions on using our drivers to write your own software here
johnm1019

PS3000a resolving error state

Post by johnm1019 »

Hi, my program streams data for a long time from one channel and continually analyzes it. sometimes, my ps3000a returns error code 07 from the call to ps3000aGetStreamingLatestValues.

The manual lists this as PICO_NOT_RESPONDING. Typically when it enters this state, further attempts to read the data over the next 3 seconds all fail, and if left to continue trying, will never recover.

What is the recommended way to handle this error code according to Pico Technology?

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PS3000a resolving error state

Post by Martyn »

This error can often indicate that the PC has lost connection with the Picoscope.

Do you have a direct connection between the PC's USB port and the device ? or are you using a hub ?
Are there other USB devices connected ?
Are you using a desktop PC or a Laptop/Netbook ?
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

johnm1019

Post by johnm1019 »

Hi Martyn,
The picoscope is directly connected to one of the USB ports on the computer. It is a very new desktop computer with oodles of RAM and CPU. It also happens whether I choose one of the USB 3.0 or one of the 2.0 ports on the host (it has both).
Other than mouse and keyboard, the device has one other USB input which is a low data-rate device (operates over a serial->usb->virtual serial connection @ 115200).
As more info, I'm free-acquiring at 4MS/s, and asking for the latest samples every 13-30ms. This should run for up to several days at a time. I have desperately tried to find a repeatable setup to recreate the problem but cannot. I have also tried using 3 different 3204a's (we use them in a product, so have a number of them as spares).
Although it is not desired, it would be acceptable to somehow programattically reset the picoscope (thus incurring a delay of about 6-9 seconds of data acquisition). The typical close/open cycle doesn't always work though, as evidenced by my log files. My program also handles error-states properly if I manually unplug the picoscope and plug it back in (without restarting the software), so I feel pretty good about my state-resolution code.

I will say despite this issue, I am much much happier with the 3000a API over the 2203 api

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

We don't have a way to reset the Picoscope from within a program so currently that is not an option. I have asked about adding this functionality before but the developers would prefer to understand the reasons for the lock up rather than providing a work around to the problem.

Resources are unlikely to be an issue by the sounds of your PC's specification but power maybe, so if you have a powered USB hub available I would give that a try.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager