64bit Linux drivers for 3000A/B series

Post your Linux discussions here
PRJeanneret

64bit Linux drivers for 3000A/B series

Post by PRJeanneret »

Is there any progress on 64bit Linux drivers for the 3000A/B series 'scopes? I've a 3206B and all the machines I could connect it to are 64bit. It's a bit sad having to run a virtual machine just to talk to my PicoScope

Thanks

Paul

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 64bit Linux drivers for 3000A/B series

Post by Martyn »

Unfortunately we don't have these at present. 64bit drivers are in the development plan so keep checking back.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

darkstar

Post by darkstar »

Is there a timescale for these drivers? Unless its the next few weeks I'll have to purchase equipment from another company.

Thanks.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I am sorry, although they are on the horizon, it will not be a few weeks as other projects are taking priority.
Martyn

PRJeanneret

Post by PRJeanneret »

So what are the timescales on this? Months? Years?

I'm quite disappointed at the level of Linux support for picotech devices. When I bought my 'scope I was specifically looking out for a device which could be used on my machines. This was over a year ago and still we're waiting. I think that the scopes themselves are great devices especially so when you factor in the pricing, but the picoscope application software lets you down. The kit could be used for so much more & engineers are out there with the ideas and skills to make these new applications happen. We just need the drivers.

Are the 64bit drivers dramatically different from the 32bit ones? If resourcing is the problem, would you consider contracting out the work?

Paul

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Have you tried running the 32bit driver and console application on your 64bit machines ?

We have successfully tried this with Ubuntu 11.10 64bit.
Martyn

PRJeanneret

Post by PRJeanneret »

Hi Martyn,

The driver seems to go in ok but I can build the console app as it complains that the libraries aren't compatible. libps3000a and libusb_pico-1.0 are both built for i386 machines and it needs x86-64.

Were your tests built on for 64bit, or were they compiled on a 32bit machine?

Paul

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You need to compile for 32bit on the 64bit machine, or compile on a 32bit machine.
Martyn

PRJeanneret

Post by PRJeanneret »

Oooh, didn't know I could do that. It works! Ok it's not ideal as I can't recompile everything 32bit, so proper 64bit drivers and libraries would be a nicer option, but I think I can get away with building a server applet to do the interfacing and get "real" application to talk to it over TCP/IP. As I said not ideal, but it does introduce a few more nice options to my idea as a side-effect.

Thanks for the hint.

Paul

Rudolf

Post by Rudolf »

Martyn wrote:Have you tried running the 32bit driver and console application on your 64bit machines ?
We have successfully tried this with Ubuntu 11.10 64bit.
How to install the 32bit driver on 64bit Linux (Fedora) ?
The install script from driver package fails.
Thanks.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I haven't tried on Fedora, and currently do not have a system to try it on. Can you post the script install errors you are getting and we may be able to work out what is happening.
Martyn