Serial decoding with 2205 MSO

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
trpico

Serial decoding with 2205 MSO

Post by trpico »

Is there any way to perform serial decoding on the digital logic analyzer channels of the 2205 MSO? The serial decoding menu only lists channels A and B, the analog channels. I would have thought that the whole point of having an MSO was so that you could use channels A and B to view analog wave forms while simultaneous decoding digital streams on the logic analyzer channels. Please tell me there is an option somewhere to enable serial decoding on the 16 digital channels. Otherwise, this scope will be making a very swift trip back to Saelig.

Taylor

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Serial decoding with 2205 MSO

Post by Martyn »

We are currently in the process of adding serial decoding of the digital channels to the Picoscope 6 software, and this will be included in a release once we have completed our testing.

If you require further information please contact us directly at support@picotech.com
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

trpico

Post by trpico »

Martyn,

Thank you for your reply. On one level, I am relieved that this wasn't simply a case of operator error or failure to RTFM. On the other hand, though, I am faced with a bit of a quandary. It simply didn't occur to me that the serial decoding was limited to the analog channels, and there is no way in the demo software to test this, since the virtual demo scope is a four-channel analog DSO. Serial decoding of the logic analyzer data streams was on my list of essential features when I was shopping for an MSO. Therefore, if there is any chance that serial decoding of the digital channels of the 2205 MSO might not be added to Picoscope 6, then I would have to rethink whether this MSO meets my needs.

I know that any sensible developer will refuse to speculate about future software releases, but I really must ask: do you have any sense of when Picoscope might support serial decoding of the digital channels of the 2205 MSO?

Thank you once again for your prompt response to my inquiry.

Taylor

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

Serial decoding for the digital channels will be added very soon :), I can't nail down an exact date though.

I will pass on the comment about the demo device, no one else had picked that up.
Martyn

alan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by alan »

Just to add to the above, we have have internal releases with this feature for a while now (I have used it myself). Its pretty cool as you can decode many different serial buses at the same time - eg you can decode say 6 CAN bus networks at the same time or any mix (eg CAN,SPI,UART, I2C) again all at the same time.

It is in the final stages of internal testing and I have been told it will be available as a beta release on labs.picotech.com next week.

trpico

Post by trpico »

Thank you! :D That is great news.

While on the topic of serial decoding ... Are you considering adding advanced triggering on specific serial packets?

Quiche31

Post by Quiche31 »

Hi there,

Is there any news of this beta version of PicoScope 6, that offers digital serial decoding for the MSO? Just checked http://labs.picotech.com/#psw6 and have not seen anything posted there, and we are talking 3 weeks after the announcement above.

Thanks
JP

trpico

Post by trpico »

I tried out R6.6.18 (RC) with the digital channels on the 2205 MSO and it works great. Thanks.

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

You just beat me to posting a link to this ;)

Please let us know of any issues you find, this is a release candidate at present.
Martyn