Delay at startbutton Picoscope 6

Forum for discussing PicoScope version 6 (non-automotive version)
noral

Delay at startbutton Picoscope 6

Post by noral »

We use Picoscope 6 with Picotech 3425 and 2203 in industrial service and development. We're using 4 several IBM PC with Windows XP (Pentium 4 with 1GB storage), and one smal ASUS ee PC for field service.
I always update to the newest version (at last 6.6.16) - but yesterday i've installed the older Version 6.5.78 at all PC's.
The reason is very slow start and stop function, and sometimes a longer delay (5 seconds or longer) until the software shows the signal on the screen (if it doesn't fail completly).
The CPU Power in the Windows task manager is at 100% - is this nomal (at 6.5.78 too)?
What is the reason for the slow speed of the latest version, and what is the reason for the delay after pushing the start button?
It would be very nice if we could use the latest versions, but it doesn't work as stable as the older versions.
Any idea?
Stefan

noral

Re: Delay at startbutton Picoscope 6

Post by noral »

no answer here.. :(
Today i try using Picoscope 6.6 with my private laptop (Sony Vaio, Intel Duocore, 3GB Ram) and it works perfekt. The CPU Power in the taskmanager is only 86%.

It would be nice to hear what is the problem with our PC' in the development? I've installed now Picoscope 6.3 and can use it again - but there are some mistakes with XY Funktion (Probe is 10V = 120mm Laserdistancesensor), and i get X-axis with time scale. In Picoscope 6.6 it is ok (X = mm).
Picoscope 6.6 is a very good software, but failed on slower PC!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

I am currently using 6.6.16.12 and am not seeing any delays when starting and stopping the run by using the buttons in the bottom left, or the space bar. Task manager is showing Picoscope using between 40% and 80% depending upon the timebase settings.

Can you send a settings file to our helpdesk at support@picotech.com and we can discuss your particular issue in more detail.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager

noral

Post by noral »

Thank you very much for answer.
Monday at work i will install the version 6.6 again on a IBM Pentium 4 and look what happens.
Which kind of information should i send you?
We work since 2009 with Picoscope6 on 2203 and 3425 units. In a few days we get an 16Bit 4262, and i hope really that it will work with the newest software release.
In our development we use a lot of different probes with Y-axis to bar or millimeter, 0 - 50V, 4-20mA, 0-300mT. Actuall we do some measurements with a laser distance sensor 0 - 10V (= 0-120mm Y-axis probe) and an magnetig sensor 0-3V (0-3/30/300mT). We screen the magnetic field in an actuator, so that we need the x-axis at the length (here probe 0-120mm) and the magnetic field at Y-axis (here probe 0-30mT). The old Picoscope 6.3 failed in the XY function by scaling the X-axis with the probe. The version 6.6 doing fine with my privat Sony Vaio Duo Core - but at our PC's in the industrial development it failed complet (slow, hanging up, couldn't end the programm etc.)
Thanks for understanding my bad (german) english!

Martyn
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martyn »

When you have experienced a slow running from the start button can you use File->SaveCurrentWaveform and save as a .pssettings or .psdata format file thanks.
Martyn
Technical Support Manager